00 B16a2 in a 97 EX

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

WannabeSI

i swaped a 2000 b16a2 in a 97 ex. The car had a crvtec in it before so the wiring harness had already been modified for a b series so i just swapped the 97 ex harness on the b16 and plugged it into a Obd2a p30 ecu the wiring harness and the ecu worked fine with the crvtec and the si motor worked fine in the si. everything is puluged up and looks right but when i started it the first time it ran for two blocks hesitated when i tried to get on it then the dash lights flashed and the car died and the ecu made some clicking noises. i got it back to my house and looked it over and now all it will do is crank once or twice and then make some clicking noises. the battery is not dead or anything the clicking is comming from the ecu. also when it cranks the spedo raises to like 40mphi have gone over everything and i am lost. it is throwing 8 TDC sensor wich is in the dist. is there a difference between the 00 si dist. and the 96 gsr dist i had on the crvtec? the wiring looks the same on both dist's please help

uhhh....

i had KINDA the same problem......

i could NEVER get my shit to work with an obd2 ecu...i jus got an obd1 p28 and a jumper...

iono....

why'd you ditch the crvtec?

well i built the crvtec for my freind and we were on a test drive and the lower ball joint broke, the axel snapped and we slide into a small ditch. the insurance company totaled it out becuase no one in town wanted to repair a car with a body kit espesially a molded kit so i bought it back from them and he took the crvtec. with the insurance money he bought a 00 si and gave me the motor. long story. but now i have another 97 civic i ditched the body kit and did an si conversion. the car worked fine with the crvtec and i have done that swap and many others so i have a pretty good idea of what i am doing i have gone over every thing i can think of and dont know what esle to look at. i was told the dist. might be wired differently in the 2000 but it looks the same to me. i am not sure what is going on.

pretty sure 96-00 dizzys are the same

i dunno if this is superstition or what, but there are 2 things that i have NEVER been able to make work.

1. after dropping a motor, with the car still on the jackstands, the car WILL NOT START. it'll turn over, but will not start. after letting the car down off the jackstands AND CHANGING NOTHING AT ALL, the car will start.

2. i have NEVER had a swap work with obd2. NEVER.

dunno what to tell you
:shrug2:

almost every swap i have done i have stayed obd2 with no really issues this is the first one that i cant figure out. i dont understand why i could drive for two blocks before it died and now it wont even start . anyone else have any ideas?

tried that both dist. work on other car i tried them on but both did the same thing on the car i am working on. there where a lot of neons hooked up inside the car that i removed could that have effected it? or maybe a car alarm issue? i dont think it is swap related any more. I think it might be under dash wiring. it doesnt make sence it is all hooked up and it starts every once and a while but the battery is draining really quick for some reason and it dies after a few seconds and the spedo freaks outall the fuses are good.

Oh and it was the ground by the thermostat it was just hand tight i tightened it a tiny bit and shes alive. its crazy how little things could be a big deal

Originally posted by civicious@Feb 1 2004, 11:53 PM
i dunno if this is superstition or what, but there are 2 things that i have NEVER been able to make work.

1. after dropping a motor, with the car still on the jackstands, the car WILL NOT START. it'll turn over, but will not start. after letting the car down off the jackstands AND CHANGING NOTHING AT ALL, the car will start.

Ha Ha! :lol:

I believe that's in the manual.

Section 2B - pg. 58:
Note: Car must be level in order for your engine swap to start!

Back