00 Si with D16yb engine

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Civic Stud

00 Si with D16y8 engine

First off, Hi to everyone here.

I bought a 2000 Civic coupe for my sixteen year old in February. A young lady had it and was looking to buy a sedan to make hauling the kids around a little easier.

She had the car listed as a 2000 Si/ex with 84,000 miles. She went on to descibe the car as a 00 Civic Si body with an ex engine and had a really good price on it. I looked it over and test drove it. It drove good and I saw that it did not have the DOHC engine, but did have a SOHC in it.

Well I was in a bit of a rush for a car and bit the bullet. About a month later, the exhaust broke and I had to get it fixed quickly. I crawled under the car and noticed that I did not see a catalytic converter. I went to my shop manual and started researching which I did. My son talked me into getting a new catback system for it and as I started looking into the exhaust diagrams. As it turns out, my car has the d16y7 exhaust manifold.

I became very curious as to what I actually had (I thought of it as an ex from the start). I looked up the vin # on the dash. It is an em1. I then looked at the door code. There is a sticker on the fenders, doors and hood that match the vin #. I checked the number stamped on the firerwall and it matched as well. I found the serial number on the block and it says it is a d16y8, but the exhaust was from a d16y7.

I never did a Carfax because I don't really care. As I said, I thought of it as an ex anyway and don't feel like I was taken for thinking I was getting an em1. After doing alot of checking, it appears that this car was at one time stolen (my thoughts only) and parts were stripped off of it within the first year. The second owner (the one I bought it from) purchased it in 2001. The engine, gauge cluster, front seats, rear disc brakes, strut tower brace and rear deck lid were taken.

I am looking at putting an original b16a engine back in it along with the oem parts that were taken. I've read that in an ek, you will need the motor mounts from a 99-00 Si to do the swap.

Questions:
1. Will I need these parts also, or do I have them already since I have a 00 Si already?
2. Were thay taken along with the original motor and replaced with ones from an ex and how would I know?
3. Since they installed an ex motor, the Si motor should hook right up with the wiring harness in it?
4. Do I need to get a new ecu from an Si?
5. Anything I need to know about what engine to buy or look for?

Last edited:
Weird!!!! Downgrading an si to ex, but let's see, since they swapped in a D series motor they more than likely had to get the mounts which means you'll have to outfit some motor mounts for the 99-00 si, you'll have to get an 99-00 si harness an ecu unless you know how to wire the harness. Get a b16a2 if it's the original motor you're looking for. If you have 4 grand to blow i'd go with a b16b, but that's just me.

So the wiring harness needs to be replaced too? How about the axles? Can I get just the motor and use the transmission that I have? Its a five speed. Total newb here, but I can do the labor work to make the swap.

b series axels and tranny needed. Sure you can if you have the money to pay for all the fabrication or plate you'd need. But seriously just get a complete swap, from hmotors, it'll come with everything you'll need

I found out today, after trying to figure out how to hook up the cruise control, that I have a real frankenstien on my hands. I do infact have an em1 eith a d16y8 block and thought that I had a d16y7 exhaust. As it turns out, I have a d16y5 head, intake and exhaust.

My head is really spinning now. I have so many questions now and am pretty much lost.

First off, after reading the numbers on the block, I ordered a greddy evo2 cat back for and ex and purchased an ex stock exhaust manifold and high flow catalytic converter. Can I still go ahead and installed those?

Secondly, it hesitates when you accellerate from 3000 to 5000 rpms. I've read that on a vtec-e, that is the range for the vtec to activate. Is the vtec not working proberly then if it hesitates? If so, how do I fix it?

It has a p2p ecu in it. Is that the right on for my situation? It has this written in red marker on it "98 ex hx red"

Should I get a d16y8 complete intake and install it? What would I need to do vtec and wiring wise to do that?

Please help.

Last edited:
Well, I went ahead and installed a used ex exhaust manifold and down pipe along with a new Pacesetter catalytic converter and Greddy Evo2 cat back. I extended the o2 sensors and got her running.

Tuesday my kid was driving to school and the speedo quit working followed by everything else. I jump started it and got it home. I figured the alternator was bad and decided to check the fuse. Fuse was bad so I replaced it and charged the battery. Started up and everything worked again.

I drove it to work yesterday and on the way home, the speedo quit again. I checked the fuse again and it was still good. I began wondering why the cel never went on so I pulled the gauge cluster and found that the bulb had been pulled. I put a bulb in and yep, cel. I did the jumper trick and pulled the codes, all six of them.

Codes as follows:
17, 20, 23, 41, 65 and 91

I'm sure that there is now a short in the vss, since I ran the o2 sensor wires past it and tisturbed something.

I need someone with experience in the d16y5 head installed on the d16y8 block and tranny to help me figure this thing out. Apparently the p2p can't recognize the egr valve, so no code for that. I bought a p2n ecu off of a guy on ebay two weeks ago, buy it has yet to show up.

Back