002 is almost done....

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Airjockie

Watanabe Whore!!!
Rest In Peace
002 is the second aircraft, as in the serial number, for the new variation of the blackhawk U H -60 M, except it is the H H -60 M, which is the new Medivac helicopter that the Army is getting. And we are almost done with it, and it might fly over the fence next week.:cool:

Background, I've been at Sikorsky now 7 years, been working on everything that flies and leaves Sik in Stratford, one union strike, and repositioned in the blade shop for a year, but have been back out in the hanger for about 4 years, so 6 years wrenching on these birds. The last 3 year they split the hangars up, militarty, and commercial, I volunteered to do the comm stuff, and have done everything to the S-7 6, and S -9 2's....and now the militarty crams the H H-6 0M's down our throat. So now I'm back to working on the pigs. They are sending the S -7 6's down to PA to be built down there, and they are keeping the S-9 2's here for a few more years, but they will be going down there as well..so our hangar will eventually just end up the Medevac Production Hangar.

The normal mil hangar did aircraft 001, and we got 002...and since sept 12th, I've been on it almost every night taking it apart, cleaning it, finding problems, fix them, putting it back together, testing it, taking it back apart for more inspections, fixing more things, and putting it back together...now today or tomorrow, they are going to fly it to get 9-11 flight hours on it, and Monday, I'll take it all back apart, torque everything, and slap it back together...and hope it leaves by thursday to be the new medivac for Mass Nat. Guard.

So now 003 should be rolling into the hangar next week also..which is good, more OT. But the best thing, the contract is for 350 or so birds, with the option for 440 of them....they want 2 a month...so that works out to be about 18+ more years of job security....:)

sorry for spacing out the numbers, but google will pop this post up at the top of the list for a search.

mass national guard... that means sabrina will have a shot with it since shes in the quick deploy unit.

or may be not... since she is now pregnant and has no idea who the father is :ph34r:

Last night was almost a living hell. Dayshift found the input seal on the tail gear box leaking, so that ment they left the work for second shift. They pulled the #7 driveshaft, and pulled the input flange off, had the guys from M&T replace the seal, and as they was putting the flange back on, the torque wrench slipped, and they hit the bracket that holds the spring capsules for the tail rotor servo cable tension butterfly. So I had to take the bracket off, get another one from another aircraft that has one that wont be ready for a month, order one for that aircraft, install it on 002, then reconnect the bitchy spring capsuls, torque everything, get it inspected, then press on and re-install the drive shaft, re-measure every shim, bolt it together, torque them, and have it inspected, and reservice the tail gear box with oil. Clean everything up, and have it ready for the government flight inspectors to inspect. About 6 hours of climbing up and down stands, running from hangar to hangar for parts and tools, then sitting down and put all the removeals into the laptop thats set up for that aircraft only.

And this aircraft has been like that for the last few weeks.... :(

I'm so burned out that I'm actually taking a week-end off to spend with the wife. I haven't had a day off since the last BBQ/meet that I've had. which was Aug 17th... :(

damn, that's a long time with out a day off. I know that last week was hectic for me. It was the last week of the fiscal year for the government. Does that effect you guys?

How you doing pay wise? Going to break 120k?

I'm so jealous. I'd love to spend my time working on things designed to fly, instead of Hondas, which the tail end just flies around. :D

My dad was a test-pilot for a while, and my mom did the datalogging on lots of stuff, so unfortunately it's in my blood. Sounds like a really fun job; it also sounds like you need the time off.

damn, that's a long time with out a day off. I know that last week was hectic for me. It was the last week of the fiscal year for the government. Does that effect you guys?

Ours is at the end of the month, and the end of the quarter's...the end of the year is coming up...and it's going to get insane.:(

Back