02 Civic swap or rebuild

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

hash

Ok so I have an automatic 02 Civic EX with 150k miles on it. The suspension system is shot, I'm getting about 23 mpg, and there's a great lose of power. What I would like to do is put a "new" engine and tranny with some lighter weight components, and replace the suspension. What I would like to accomplish is better fuel economy with a little bit more power and acceleration and better handling. I live in Southern Cali so I need to be smog legal. I'm trying to do this for 5k or less. Ok so what I am trying to find out is what would be the cheapest easiest route to take the bucket of a Honda I have, and turn it into a better functioning car that will last another 200K miles. Any help is greatly appreciated, feel free to as any questions comments concerns you might have.

I'm not really sure how you think you're going to put in a more powerful engine that makes your car faster and simultaneously get better mileage. Have you thought about just rebuilding your current engine and replacing your shocks and bushings? You could probably do all that for 5k...

No, I'm looking on advice on should I rebuild or drop a new one. What I want my end result to be is a more fuel efficient car with better handling. I would also like to have a little bit more acceleration and power, but I'm not trying to have a 300 hp turbo charged nitrous burning rice rocket. I just want something a little better then stock. I am also not an auto mechanic but, I do know the simple stuff, and I am very good at following instructions. I have a friend who can do engine swaps so I was going to have him do the bulk of the work, and he's friends with a master mechanic who also offered to help. The reason I want to redo the engine is I am supposed to get the car from my inlaws, and I need it to last awhile. After my wife had the car for years with her father taking horrible care of it I now get to drive it. The transmission likes to pop when I put it into gear. The motor has a slight click to it, and has had the head gasket replaced.

I'd say just clean the car up to start with and give the engine a good tune-up and see what kind of mileage it gets. Also, maybe do some basic bolt-on mods like a quality intake and exhaust. Those types of things can actually increase mileage a bit and give you a few more horsepower (but don't expect a huge difference).

Like I said, you'll be hard pressed to swap in a more powerful motor and get better mileage...

Yeah after talking to a few other friends of mine it seams a rebuild would be quicker and cheaper. I need to start creating a list of things to get done, and parts to get. Ill keep coming to the forums looking for help. Thanks brutal

Like BrutalB83 said, try some basic tune ups. However if you still wanna do a rebuild. New piston rings, new bearings and oil pump, and getting the head machined should do the trick. Also try finding some high compression pistons if you want more power. Good luck.

Back