'05 STI Vs 98 Supra TT 6sp

'05 STI VS '98 SUPRA TT 6sp

• 1998 Toyota SUPRA TwinTurbo 6Sp

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

a tt supra is alot of car for your first, or even second, car. I hope this doesnt turn into the pre "i just totaled my 'new' supra" thread.

damn, i wish i could get a supra at the age of 19. what do you do exactly?

Quoted post[/post]]
Oh no, I want a 1982.

There is one parked 3 blocks from me.. Someone that works at a goodwill store owns it and drives it every day. Its red with a black hatch, and is the same body style that you posted earlier. I'd be willing to bet you could pick it up cheap from a goodwill employee. If you are serious, I could go "persuade" them to sell it.

But I'm in Texas. So whatever.

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
Oh no, I want a 1982.

There is one parked 3 blocks from me.. Someone that works at a goodwill store owns it and drives it every day. Its red with a black hatch, and is the same body style that you posted earlier. I'd be willing to bet you could pick it up cheap from a goodwill employee. If you are serious, I could go "persuade" them to sell it.

But I'm in Texas. So whatever.
Yeah, sorry. Also,if you're ever looking for a second gen: the 82-83s ALL had black hatches, and fender flares, and bumper skins. Regardless of color. (On the subject, that's a Zenki Supra thing. The Kouki Supras had color-keyed items)

(And to cashizslick: I actually don't like the 4th gens :))

I can also disagree about the Daily Driver thing. The WRX is nice with it's sedan qualities, but the Supra has a decent trunk, adult-sized (Granted, not happy adults) back seat and a very consistent mannerism. I think the WRX lacks that consistent manner.

My 4 door opinions has always been the same as my 4 seater opinion: Yeah, I have carried people in the back before, but in my current lifestyle, I have someone in my backseat maybe 3 times a year. And it's not worth all those doors for that.

Quoted post[/post]]
I can also disagree about the Daily Driver thing. The WRX is nice with it's sedan qualities, but the Supra has a decent trunk, adult-sized (Granted, not happy adults) back seat and a very consistent mannerism. I think the WRX lacks that consistent manner.

My 4 door opinions has always been the same as my 4 seater opinion: Yeah, I have carried people in the back before, but in my current lifestyle, I have someone in my backseat maybe 3 times a year. And it's not worth all those doors for that.

It is a matter of convenience but not in terms of space that I would primarily be concerned. The car is now 8 model years old, wear and tear begins to add up and parts go. There's no warranty on a 8 year old car, especially not a car that has extremely expensive parts that have been discontinued by the factory. If one were to buy a brand new STI it would be covered by warranties and you would never have to worry about out of pocket money for the car breaking down. Its just more sensible to buy a newer car rather than an older car.

Secondly, if you use a 4th generation supra as a daily driver its a crime. There's very, very, few in the states and its a car that will appreciate in value. There's no sense in raping the value of a car that will be a classic by running the mileage up. Its a special car and shouldn't be used as a daily driver but rather to sit in someone's living room. A 1982 beat to shit supra as a daily driver, fine because you picked it up for $1000 and its value wasn't going to appreciate anyway, a 1998 supra thats one of 500 with low mileage that you daily drive into the ground, not okay in my book.

STI is more practical and thats all that it comes down to, especially from a none wrenchman like myself. Supra is an exotic and should be preserved as a great investment not as a car thats going to have 100,000 miles + on it.

By that same token, using my CRX as a daily car is a crime.

As far as warranties, they NEVER work out for you. If they did, then the factory would stop offering them (Everything a car company does is in the efforts of making money, not losing)

We have our WRX and I deleted any kind of warranty. at $2000, even if the engine were to simply explode, I have the resources and shop to replace the motor for less than $2000. An EJ20T can be found at ~$1000 with about as many miles as what's on it now. Screw warrantees, they never work out. (unless you own a Ford, my mechanic is on his 3rd 2004 Explorer... the other 2 were so bad that the dealer simply replaced them (And with this, he says "Ford is awesome.. my new SUV was broken and they just replaced it with no argument. Ford rocks"))

I am willing to bet that the 2JZG(T)E will last longer when used as a boat anchor than any modern Subaru engine will. I'm not a fan.

7MGTEs, however, are the shittiest motor made by Toyota (Well, Toyota can't make a V6 if their lives depended on it).

A Supra is truly meant to drive. It's reliable, well engineered and assembled.

Hell, I'm the one that is trying to make a daily driven Lotus Esprit :)

Quoted post[/post]]
a tt supra is alot of car for your first, or even second, car. I hope this doesnt turn into the pre "i just totaled my 'new' supra" thread.

ever drove a tt supra? with anything less then 2k in it its not very impressive. even then its no big deal.

ive been 180 in my buddies tt supra and have driven it to 160.
its completely retarded the amount of money that he has dropped into that thing in parts and the amount of money hes had to drop into it for repairs.

ive said it before and ill say it again. this is not just some dumbass biased view because i drive a honda. this is from firsthand experience with the last gen tt supra and an na supra.

fuck a supra

ill never own one, and i easily could.
that is all.

Quoted post[/post]]
By that same token, using my CRX as a daily car is a crime.

Apples and oranges Steven.

Your CRX isn't a highly desired car that will seek $40,000 easily with low miles and in a few years thousands more than that. There's a shitload of Honda CRX's in North America, there's 500 or so 1998 Toyota Supras.

What car can you sell after using and enjoying the car for 8-9 + years for the same, if not more than the original sticker price of the car.

You don't see CRX's selling for the same price as they were originally purchased for.

Apples and oranges.

As for warranties they do work, but you may have a lot of unwanted downtime. Buying a new car is far more reliable than buying an older car who's parts have major wear and tear on them after years, basically everything on the old car will need to be replaced within the coming years. It may not be a huge hit in the wallet all at once, which makes it easier, but nonetheless the hit will still be there.

"STI is more practical and thats all that it comes down to, especially from a none wrenchman like myself. Supra is an exotic and should be preserved as a great investment not as a car thats going to have 100,000 miles + on it."

*You* may be able to get by without a warranty but if the motor in the WRX I'm buying were to blow, I'd have to pay upwards of $3,000 to get another and have it installed professionally.

Of course car companies are looking to make profits and will only offer services that will allow them to profit in some way or another, its a capitalist society, but this is not to say that warranties don't have their place. Warranties are an insurance, some people are risk takers and will run without insurance, playing the odds game and hoping something doesn't happen to them. The man looking to protect his investment will insure it. Its that simple.

Quoted post[/post]]

I honestly don't work anywhere exciting, or important, I work in the cargo business. and hmmmm, this is going to be my 6th car, Im pretty sure I'm ready for the supra

and guys, you buy a car to drive it am I correct? Its a car that I've wanted for a loooooooooong time. I'm not going to beat on it like its a beater, but at the same time, im not going to treat it like its a $200k+ Lamborghini,

And on the Frosted side: You've made a good choice. I'd be interested to see pics when you pick it up.

I'm actually deciding on either getting a late MkIII Turbo, or a nice engine swap for the EG this summer. I have a decent job right now - $18 an hour, and can expand my hours this summer. I have about $3k saved, and can easily sell my EG for $2k.

Celerity, what year would you suggest for the the Turbo MkIII's? I know you said not the 86.5, but is anything else kosher? I'm already planning on buying a new HKS metal headgasket, and doing all the normal gen. maintenance if I get the car.

I'm getting bored with this FWD stuff. I hang with a bunch of WRX's and SRT4's in my town, and whenver we go somewhere I'm always left in the dust. :dry:

As far as I know they didn't offer the turbo is 86.5

89 I think is the year that they changed some things (JDM models changed from the 7MGTE to the 1JZGTTE. USDM kept the shittier 7M). 89s have confusing wiring because I guess half the connectors are old style and half are new-style.

Aesthetics are a toss-up. In 1989 they changed taillight panels and front bumpers (as well as changed over to non-metal-backed trim pieces along the car's midsection). I personally prefer the Pre-'89 bumper but the post '89 taillights. They are interchangeable.

The '90-'92 turbo supposedly has the highest output completely stock due to small changes in the top end of the engine. '92 Turbos are the most uncommon, and are usually the nicest, which also means they're more expensive. If I were going to buy one (I was researching them a few months ago, actually), I'd pick up a '90 or '91 Turbo in decent condition, leave it stock, and start pigeonholing money away. WHEN (not if) the head gasket goes, do a 1JZ swap. Celerity will throw on the brakes to this idea, but it's been done enough now that it's fairly well documented. The '90-'92 cars are better for the 1JZ because they have the proper crossmember. When they changed to the 1JZ in japan they also changed the USDM crossmember to work with both the 7M and 1JZ engines. Before '89, the 1JZ wasn't used, so in an older car you have to change crossmembers to swap it.

Anyway, those are the "interesting" facts I know about the MA70. Steve will follow this up with a 1-2 punch to the testes of the 7M though. For good reason - the 7M is nothing more than a bastard revision of the 5 and 6M.

DONT DO IT.. NOT THE MKIII!!!!.

A guy i work with has a 7M-GTE and he blew the head gasket 3 times. after the third time, he put a 7M-GE in it and now he sports a Celica GT-S (no accounting for taste)

First off, I suggest you avoid the 3rd gen unless you're very tolerant of the Supra problems. In other words, you better have a second car, a garage, and not have a big issue with disposable income. you don't need 4th gen amounts of money, but you will need a few hundred ready to go at a moment's notice. It's easier than owning the Porsche, and unless you're a a wankel pro, it's easier than the RX7 as well.

For my favorite years : I prefer the Zenki 88. The 98 Double White is a sexy car, but the wiring isn't the best of all. The 92 is the best year of the 3rd gens, but they are very soft. As people bought the Supra (As they did with the Corvette) their input to Toyota was to soften it up. The wheel is thick, the seats are thick, the buttons are even HUGER than ever before.

I'd like to take a moment to speak off topic here. The 3rd gen Supra is full of .. well, shit. Did you know that the trim that goes around the 3rd gen is 80 pounds ? It's a tool steel brace, surrounded by a thick shellac, that will take the color ofthe paint and sort of fiberoptically make the silver panel in it, appear to match the color of the car. The White on White Supras lack this, they have a simple plastic piece of trim.

MY advice is to avoid the 3rd gen if you want a positive "First Supra experience". IF you want a good FSE, go with a 2nd gen, probably a 1984 or 85.

86.5s should be avoided at all costs.

-> Steve

Damn, almost all the entry-level turbo cars seemed to be ruled out.

Starion - bursts into flames without warning
Supra - Noted inherent problems as told by Celerity
1st gen Talon/Laser/Eclipse - HG, turbos, crankwalk, bearings, tranny, etc.
RX7 - 1 ping away from total engine failure
300ZX TT - Huge, lots of $$ to repair, bitch to work on.
SR Swapped 240SX - Drifter craze = huge markup
Turbo swap for EG - I want a daily driver, not an exploding dyno whore.
WRX - Maybe just the motor....

I might just bite the bullet and get a 200SX/Sentra SER and do some minor mods, or just buy a swapped Honda. But running with newer WRX's?

Fuck it, Im getting a truck.

Back