08 Civic Si K20 different than a K20A2??

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

CAFROG

Honda Minion
VIP
Still saving money but I am going to turn my car into a track car and I'm going to throw a K-swap in it.

Can someone tell me the difference in a RSX type S swap and a late model Civic Si swap??? I know there's a small hp difference but....for some reason, I remember reading something about only one camshaft varying when VTEC engages on the Civic Si....or something of that sort?? I can't find the thread

All in all....I want your opinions on which one is best for an EGg at the track. If there difference is minimal.....the Civic Si can be found for $500-600 cheaper than a USDM K20A2 and $1500-1600 cheaper than a K20 Type R. I am leaning away from the Type R idea b/c of the extra cost for what seems to be little gain.....??

I have been reading how someone can piece together a swap on the cheap but I would rather get a complete swap for piece of mind if I am going to rev the piss out of it on a track.

How's the longevity of that set up? I know it would be ideal for hp but worried the Frankenstein will bite me in the ass.

I just saw a K20A2 complete swap with < 80K on it. Just to get an idea of prices.....its a little less than $3K for the whole swap with ignition and immobilizer.

the rsxs has 2 different k, k20a2 and the k20z1, and then the new si the k20z3. the so k has a better top end not just cam wise but intake manifold also. 199hp for the si 200hp for the a2 and 210hp for the z1. if it was me i would go with the z1 and then just put the si intake main on it.

Cool....thanks. I am thinking about (once I have cash in hand) bidding on a wrecked RSX-S but worried that the shell would be a bitch to get rid of after I parted all the functional stuff. But I could save some serious cash that way

I will have a lot of crap to sell.....but we'll see. Its all a pipe dream until I save up the cash. New car payment hurts already. If I get a wrecked car, I will have a lot of crap to sell (Craigslist Nightmares) I still need to sell my B16, CTR cams, Skunk2 cam gears, USDM P30 ECU, 98+ ITR header, etc. Hoping I can get rid of all the B series stuff and that'll pay for everything else I need to complete it (fingers crossed)

How much do you want for the CTR cams..and what kinda shape they in..

Great shape, real deal Civic Type R camshafts and I also will have Type R Dual Valve Springs (all 32 of them) that were brand new from a online dealership. ( I got maybe 3,000 miles on the set up)

Not sure how much I want for the camshafts. They can be a bitch to find (although you can find some if you can be a little patient). I had a hard time for sure. Tons of GSR camshafts being pond off for Type R and sellers think they really are Type R's or are trying to hustle you.

I will probably start tearing the swap out once my dad's shop is built (Spring). I'll let you know and you can shoot me an offer. I paid $320 and think I got a good deal.

Dont know if you read this thread so I'll paste it.
https://hondaswap.com/engine-building/type-r-camshafts-finally-found-some-498225/6.html

Thats cool its for the motor In my album, me and my friend are building, b18c/b16 head, gonna get ctr pistons and try to get ctr cams too..

If he doesn't snag the cams I might...kinda interested in the header too... both would make a nice addition to the gsr

The 08 Si K20Z3 Transmission also comes with an LSD, but in order to make it work with an RSX shifter you have to switch out the shifter mech (on top of the tranny) with one from an RSX-S.

Back