1.5 vtec tranny to 1.6 shortblock single cam?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

1996cool

I have a 1990 hatch back civic it currently has its original 1.5 short block and it seems to have been swaped because it has a 5 speed and a vtec head from a 1.5 engine ....my question is .....can i install a 1.6 vtec shortblock to my 1.5 tranny and also will the 1.5 vtec head fit to the 1.6 tranny? any help appreciated.

Quoted post[/post]]
if it's a SOHC 1.6 (d-series) then yes, the transmissions are interchangeable.
thanks buddy for the info but will it fit even if its a 1999 1.6 shortblock from a vtec it is a d series and im hoping itll sit right into my hatch wit the same 1.5 head and the 1.5 tranny thanks for ur response

Any d-series transmission will bolt up to any d-series block

[quote name='civicious' date='May 22 2006, 06:13 PM' post='690142']
Any d-series transmission will bolt up to any d-series block
[/quote before i begin swaping i have one more question .....is my 1990 civic hatch a obd0 or 0bd1 because who ever had this car rewired it and made a mess i figure they used a rewire kit to convert it to a 0bd1 ..........also, will the 1.6 block d series line up with the motor mounts on my hatch or do i have modify something ....any answer appreciated.......thank you in advance.

Quoted post[/post]]
Yes, a D-Series will fit in place of another D-Series. Just put your old mounts on the new motor.

Look at where your ECU plugs in at, are there two plugs or three? Two plugs would be OBD0 and three would be OBDI. Originally the car was OBD0.
thanks for ur response i greatly appreciate it .......by the way my engine is a 1.5b1 ........ im guessing from a 94 civic

Quoted post[/post]]
The D15B1 (you don't need to put the "." inbetween the numbers) is from the '88-'91 standard (base model) Civic hatchback. It's more likely than not your stock block with a VTEC head on top, this is called a "mini-me".

...and if it is a VTEC head, I'd be willing to bet whoever had the car tried to convert it to OBD1

Quoted post[/post]]
Excellent point.
the wiring is all screwed up ,,,and the reason i say this is because i tried to rewire... or at least to make sure that the wiring was correct but when i followed the 92 thru 95 computer wiring diagram ,,,,it didnt match up as far as the numbers on the ecu and the numbers on the wiring diagram. my guess is that i might be using the wrong wiring diagram. im running a p28 chipped and it runs but the idle is erratic and i have a cel ........... my question is .... are all the wiring diagrams the same from 92 thru 95 vtec and nonvtec inknow there is some difference as far as the vtec wiring etc............but besides that are they the same.also is there any way i can get a wiring diagram from somewhere.

Back