1.6l To 1.8l

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Tonyd0821

Banned
ok. i know this is honda SWAP. but as many of you know im boosting my y8.
doing the install myself, and i think ill become somewhat of an expert on boosted
y8's to the point where i can help others just starting out...

anyways onto the question.

since my engine is 1.6l
would it be to my advantage to bore it out to 1.8l? (read: having a qualified shop do it)
i eventually plan on running 12psi of boost in a year from now or so, once i build up the internals.

how much would that run, and most importantly WHY should or shouldnt i do it?

ttt

ya i know, i feel REAL fucking stupid at this point. i accidentally hit the send button twice or something.....didnt mean to lol.

read the second post for a explanation before you guys tear into me....

<<edit>> it seems to be gone. way cool.

With a 79mm bore your engine has 1764.79cc of displacement. I don't know if the D series can handle that. It might. To play it safe, anything larger than .5mm over stock bore needs sleeves. This is 4mm over.

I was going to say, I saw no second post.

ok, back to your original question... would the $ to bore it be worth spending on a D16?

Originally posted by lsvtec@May 7 2003, 05:16 PM
With a 79mm bore your engine has 1764.79cc of displacement. I don't know if the D series can handle that. It might. To play it safe, anything larger than .5mm over stock bore needs sleeves. This is 4mm over.

I was going to say, I saw no second post.

ya i think there was a glitch in the hondaswap system, or someone read my pathetic explanation and deleted it for me.

ok, so i guess the question im asking is that why do "b" and "h" series guys bore out their engines for? like besides getting more displacement
what is the point? i was kinda thinking if that helped out, i could maybe do it to my engine. im buying a new bottom end for my car so i can do whatever i want
to this one, and when smog time comes ill take a day and drop the normal bottom end back in and go get smogged.

If the builder is boring out a lot (more than .5mm) it is for the extra displacement. If they are only going .5mm (or less) over, it is to clean the cylinder walls up. There is no way for a smog ref to tell that you have an overbored bottom end without opening the motor up. Your bottom end would still say D16whatever.

Originally posted by lsvtec@May 7 2003, 05:44 PM
If the builder is boring out a lot (more than .5mm) it is for the extra displacement. If they are only going .5mm (or less) over, it is to clean the cylinder walls up. There is no way for a smog ref to tell that you have an overbored bottom end without opening the motor up. Your bottom end would still say D16whatever.

understood BUT wouldnt the extra .2 liters of displacement somehow affect the smog readings....?
like it would totally throw off one of the tests they do and as a result it would fail?

it doesnt matter because im going to build the shit out of my y8, then just drop in the stock extra one i got
when smog comes (and spend a day or so doing it haha)

i think it would be worth it. ?

As long as the engine is burning clean they shouldn't see a significant difference with the sniffer. Swapping the bottom end would become a pain. But if you are willing to do it, then that would be the best way of avoiding any problems.

Karnash-

Most of the B and H guys bore out their engines .5mm to clean up the cylinder walls... they don't really do it for more displacement. If you're going to bore for more displacement, you usually resleeve the engine- since any significant gain in volume makes the sleeve walls too thin to handle any major increase in power, especially if you're boosting. The .5mm bore increase that my new engine will have over the last B20 build will only net me 23cc extra. It's not much, but it's something. Again, the goal was to clean up the cylinder walls and not to gain displacement for extra power.

Is it worth the cash? How much money do you want to spend? You can't just bore from 75mm to 79mm in your stock sleeve and then boost on it. Even if you resleeve your engine, you might not want to boost on such thin sleeve walls. If you're able to maintain sleeve strength with the larger bore, you could boost and have ridiculous amounts of power hidden in the D block.

http://www.rsmachines.com/blocks.html

RS Machines will sleeve a D block out to 80mm, which would put you at 1809.6cc with your stock crank... or you could try dropping in the longer stroke D17 crank (94.4mm) and rods and go for 1898.0cc. I don't know if the D17 block is any taller than the D16 block to help make up for rod/stroke ratio though... but it would be an interesting combo to try. A full 1.9L in an engine that everyone thinks is a shade under 1.6L, with custom internals and boosting under some serious pressure would be one hell of a sleeper setup.

Keep in mind that a resleeve/bore will typically run you about $1000 all said and done, and you'll need new pistons to fit in the wider sleeve too. It's not a cheap modification. If you only want to bore out .5mm, then go for it- just remember that you've lost your one oppotunity for sleeve clean up without new sleeves later on... and you don't gain any significant displacement either.

FYI:

75x90 = 1590.4cc (stock)
75.5x90 = 1611.7cc (.5mm overbore)

I think it would be an advantage to not only resleeve but step up the liters to a 1.8 in your y8. What might happen is later on you might decide that you want to boost more and more and more, then you will be hitting yourself in the head for not doing it this time around which saves you money for someone else breaking it down. More displacement will yield more hp and tq. But just cause you have a 1.6 doesn't mean you can't get hp or tq. Good Luck.

Milan

yea i would definately bore stroke sleeve and boost if you have the money. i have the y8 and while its not as great as a B18C or B16A, its still a decent platform. it almost pisses me off cuz sometimes i think that its not shitty enough to swap but its not worth building at the same time. i think crower or eagle actually makes stroker kits for D series now, but the D17 bottom swap might work just as good for less. good luck if you actually go thru with it. i think im gonna run mine to the ground and swap it eventually. :D

Back