1.9l Ls/vtec Help

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Somalia757

SOMALIA
Okay I have a LS/VTEC thats balanced and blue printed and bored out to 1.9L (oversized B16 pistons) and a fully built B16 head with gsr cams. Everything was converted to obd1. Its ran on a P28 ecu with crome. I was told that its just a b20 base map on the ecu & that the safc 2 was used to tune the fuel curve. I have no idea why the safc would be used to tune the fuel curve when it has crome. That doesn't make sense to me. The motor has about 2300 miles on it since the rebuild.

Okay my problem is that it won't keep a steady idle. After it warms up its not so bad but still kinda bouncy. I want to get it to idle somewhat normal. Once she gets rolling though everything is fine its just at idle.
Now she is starting to have problems starting up. She turned over but nothing. I let it sit after a couple of tries and then she starts but doesn't get enough fuel to idle so it cutts off. Is this because the cold start was disabled? Is this because of the tuning or does this sound like something different?

I traded my GSRed EG for this and these are the problems im encountering with the car.

Last edited:
anyone? Okay last night when I crossed over to vtec I got a cel let off it pulled over cut the car off and the cel went away but the car didn't start right away had to let it sit for a couple minute then it started and ran fine tried vtec again and no cel. Then today during normal driving i got a cel out of nowhere and the car acted like it was running out of gas and bucked a little bit.

Help...sos

VAFC hacks FTL!! Find out who tuned it and bring it back to them. Sounds to me like whoever traded cars with you lied a little bit, and you ended up getting beat.

As for your idle, I did a write-up on the fitv vs. iacv and how to easily check them with no tools... let me find it for you...

I called the guy and he said it sounds like the main realy switch under thr dash needs to be replaced. He said it controls ignition and fuel.

Last edited:
It doesn't sound like that is problem to me. Sounds like you need a GOOD tune. If the car is bucking back and forth when you hit vtec it does that because the car is running lean. Get that VAFC the eff out of there and get a good tune on crome. Something sounds fishy though because someone wouldn't chip the ecu and put a stock map on it with crome then tune it with a vafc. It just doesn't make sense.

Open up your ecu and if you don't see a chip in a socket in the ecu then it hasn't been chipped. If you see one then you are good to go.

Even if its chipped, doesnt mean it was "tuned". Some people I know get the skunk2 program, which runs very rich, and they use a vafc to bring the fuel down a bit and level it the way they see fit.

Vtec breaking up can be caused by a lot of things... Insufficient oil pressure, timing issues, and so forth. Diagnose the problem correctly, and you will only have to fix it once, not 20 times.

When it hit Vtec it was fine I just got a cel but it still ran fine. But I always pull over and cut the car off because I want to be safe. when I cut it off and restart the cel goes away and sometimes doesn't come back for many miles and sometimes comes on after a few miles....its pretty random.

Its afterwards when I cutt the car off and let it sit the cel goes away....drive for a couple miles normally then it gets a cel and the car starts boggin and bucking.
Thats what I am encountering.

The vtec still functions fine sometimes with no cel then other times it may get one but doesn't bog or act funny till I stop cut it off then drive normally.

I talked to the engine builder last night because he gave me his # and told me to call if I have any problems. He is the one that told me the main relay....he said if the main relay doesnt fix it to call him back.....I can't take it to him because they live like 3hrs away....I can't take that chance and don't really have the time to make the drive.
The guy that I traded cars with brought the engine builder because he built it and the owner of the car didn't really know about it. They brought the reciepts and empty part boxes....you can read crower on the retainers when you take off the oil cap.

I trust the engine just not the tuning I didn't meet the tuner. But honestly I think the crome was put on for when hey could get it dyno tuned I don't think they had the equipment or knew how to tune the crome. The engine builder told me when I get it dyno tuned it will ake care of the idle and eliminate the need for the safc2 which I don't understand why the didn't use the vfac because of the vtec controller in it.

Last edited:
okay spoke to one of my techs he also said pgm-fi relay....we are ordering the part. So we will wait and see now. I will post the results.

Ended up being the Idle was disabled through the ecu. I got dyno tuned @184whp & 169.5ftlbs.
Currently looking into changing up my setup & getting it re-tuned. I am going with Stage 2 crower all motor cams, I need to upgrade my injectors, fuel rail, fpr, & intake manifold w/ a larger throttle boday & a new header..I have my eye set on this Greddy one :woo: But as far as the intake manifold I was thinking of just saving up & getting itbs!!!

Back