10 year anniversary of B.I.G's death

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

You keep saying the big paved the way for Nas / Gay-z , but the truth is Nas dropped Illmatic before big put out ready to die, and jay had all his tracks but didn't drop it until a year and a half later.
we aren't saying he paved the way for them in particular, we are saying he help pave the way for thier style by showing that it can be successful because let's face it, record labels back then (maybe even now) had a big role in what was going to go on an album. Labels never really wanted to take a risk on risky songs when it came to rap.

One of my favorite Biggie songs.

"Juicy"

[Intro:]

(Fuck all you hoes) Get a grip motherfucker.

Yeah, this album is dedicated to all the teachers that told me
I'd never amount to nothin', to all the people that lived above the
buildings that I was hustlin' in front of that called the police on
me when I was just tryin' to make some money to feed my daughters,
and all the niggaz in the struggle, you know what I'm sayin'?

Uh-ha, it's all good baby bay-bee, uh

[Verse One:]

It was all a dream
I used to read Word Up magazine
Salt'n'Pepa and Heavy D up in the limousine
Hangin' pictures on my wall
Every Saturday Rap Attack, Mr. Magic, Marley Marl
I let my tape rock 'til my tape popped
Smokin' weed and bamboo, sippin' on private stock
Way back, when I had the red and black lumberjack
With the hat to match
Remember Rappin' Duke, duh-ha, duh-ha
You never thought that hip hop would take it this far
Now I'm in the limelight 'cause I rhyme tight
Time to get paid, blow up like the World Trade
Born sinner, the opposite of a winner
Remember when I used to eat sardines for dinner
Peace to Ron G, Brucey B, Kid Capri
Funkmaster Flex, Lovebug Starsky
I'm blowin' up like you thought I would
Call the crib, same number same hood
It's all good

Uh, and if you don't know, now you know, nigga, uh

[Chorus:]

You know very well who you are
Don't let em hold you down, reach for the stars
You had a goal, but not that many
'cause you're the only one I'll give you good and plenty

[Verse Two:]

I made the change from a common thief
To up close and personal with Robin Leach
And I'm far from cheap, I smoke skunk with my peeps all day
Spread love, it's the Brooklyn way
The Moet and Alize keep me pissy
Girls used to diss me
Now they write letters 'cause they miss me
I never thought it could happen, this rappin' stuff
I was too used to packin' gats and stuff
Now honies play me close like butter played toast
From the Mississippi down to the east coast
Condos in Queens, indo for weeks
Sold out seats to hear Biggie Smalls speak
Livin' life without fear
Puttin' 5 karats in my baby girl's ears
Lunches, brunches, interviews by the pool
Considered a fool 'cause I dropped out of high school
Stereotypes of a black male misunderstood
And it's still all good

Uh...and if you don't know, now you know, nigga

[Verse Three:]

Super Nintendo, Sega Genesis
When I was dead broke, man I couldn't picture this
50 inch screen, money green leather sofa
Got two rides, a limousine with a chauffeur
Phone bill about two G's flat
No need to worry, my accountant handles that
And my whole crew is loungin'
Celebratin' every day, no more public housin'
Thinkin' back on my one-room shack
Now my mom pimps a Ac' with minks on her back
And she loves to show me off, of course
Smiles every time my face is up in The Source
We used to fuss when the landlord dissed us
No heat, wonder why Christmas missed us
Birthdays was the worst days
Now we sip champagne when we thirst-ay
Uh, damn right I like the life I live
'Cause I went from negative to positive
And it's all...

(It's all good)

...and if you don't know, now you know, nigga, uh
Uh, uh...and if you don't know, now you know, nigga
Uh...and if you don't know, now you know, nigga, uh

Representin' B-Town in the house, Junior Mafia, mad flavor, uh

RIP. I can't wait to hang out with him when i die. :p

I cant believe someone mentioned canibus, he was nasty, good reff. Game.. i dunno... Lloyd Banks... ehhhh. Give it up for Talib, Heiroglyphics, Dilated Peoples, the Mighty Mos Def, the Liks, Wu Tang, Beastie Boys (yeah, the beastie boys), Tribe, dead prez, Big L (rip), the Roots, even e40. Also the white guys like Sage, Slug, and all of Rhymesayers, Brother Ali, Non Phixion Keepin it fun an real for years. And the og's like Peanut Butter Wolf, Sugar Hill Gang, Grand Master Flash, Marley Marl, Kool Moe, NWA, even Brand Nubian and Biz should never be over looked ;) And I know im missing some but the list would be too long. Oh, and then there are dj's.. that list is long too. But Rap and Hip Hop wont die, the people who are keepin it like it should be aren't making 11 million record sales so someone who doesn't dig around the genre and culture of rap/hiphop wont know.

/highpost :D

Anyone ever wonder why they never catch the killer of any rap?
Because most of them are or are killed by gang bangers. Tons of gang banging murders go unsolved all the time. I know of 3 personally that went unsolved. I'm acquaintances with 2 people who never did time....

AIC's facelift EP was out in 1989.... long before nirvana were even popular.

Facelift came out in 90 :p The Lovebuzz 7" was released in 88. AIC didn't get big till Dirt came out in 92, a year after Nevermind, not that it matters though, it's all pretty much gone now.

Yeah, silly me for thinking it'd be cool to meet someone, who's music I love and always wished I could have met him if he was alive, when I die. Maybe my time would be better spent with the jerks from Metallica or Lynard Skynard. :D

Yeah, silly me for thinking it'd be cool to meet someone, who's music I love and always wished I could have met him if he was alive, when I die. Maybe my time would be better spent with the jerks from Metallica or Lynard Skynard. :D
well you know how he is. if it isn't someone he thinks is cool or worth meeting, to him your an idiot for wanting meet that person. forget your personal choice, do what he thinks is the cool thing to do.

but the truth is Nas dropped Illmatic before big put out ready to die. Shit at least Nas and tupac are more diverse and talk about shit that matters, culture, politics, life, personal struggle.
by a whopping 5 months. and tupac is lame because he contradicts himself. oh i love my nubian goddess/fuck a trick ass ho....um..ok pac...
RIP Biggie Smalls

you can listen to the DJ Noodles tribute to Biggie here: DJNoodles.com
i heard that on sirius. it was pretty good.
Anyone ever wonder why they never catch the killer of any rap?
they don't want to.
well you know how he is. if it isn't someone he thinks is cool or worth meeting, to him your an idiot for wanting meet that person. forget your personal choice, do what he thinks is the cool thing to do.
not celerity. never.

Biggie rapped about what he did/does. Tupac rapped about what he wanted to do. Then proceeded to act like a cocky ass thug when the cameras were around.

by a whopping 5 months. and tupac is lame because he contradicts himself. oh i love my nubian goddess/fuck a trick ass ho....um..ok pac...
There is a difference between a hoe and a housewife.

not celerity. never.

Well think of these guys "Art". It's on par with slashing urine on the mother mary. All it is is grunting sounds, a shopping list at Macys, a bridal registry being read out loud and some vague threats. They hit things with sticks and put it to a beat.

It's shit, Not opinion. hey, I like Arrested Development, US3, Diggable Planets, Tribe called Quest, I even think Cypress Hill is fun to listen to - and I hate pot smoking. When rap sucks, it just sucks. Fact.

"When I die I want to hang out with him" Fuck that, there are tons of cool guys in the studio right now making some remarkable shit. Meet them. Shit man, "I wanna hang with Biggie smalls" is like saying "Tonight I'm taking a bath in a parts washer full of cold water". Fuck, these assholes do nothing but take / want / demand your money. Couldn't give a shit about the art.

Just watch cribs.

Tupac was better anywho....

AND HE AIN'T DEAD....

i don't even like rap to begin with....

HEAVY METAL TILL' I DIE

KSE, Ill Nino, Twelve Tribes, Machine head, Lamb of God, Spineshank, Slayer, Trivium... you get the point...

The only and i mean ONLY good rap... is MC Chris...

Well think of these guys "Art". It's on par with slashing urine on the mother mary. All it is is grunting sounds, a shopping list at Macys, a bridal registry being read out loud and some vague threats. They hit things with sticks and put it to a beat.

It's shit, Not opinion. hey, I like Arrested Development, US3, Diggable Planets, Tribe called Quest, I even think Cypress Hill is fun to listen to - and I hate pot smoking. When rap sucks, it just sucks. Fact.

"When I die I want to hang out with him" Fuck that, there are tons of cool guys in the studio right now making some remarkable shit. Meet them. Shit man, "I wanna hang with Biggie smalls" is like saying "Tonight I'm taking a bath in a parts washer full of cold water". Fuck, these assholes do nothing but take / want / demand your money. Couldn't give a shit about the art.

Just watch cribs.
have you ever even listened to biggie? your ignorance says no. and yes you are ignorant about this because you keep suming(sp?) up all these rappers as one group yet you don't fail to mention the rappers/groups that you do like and proceed to praise them while you try and shit on the ones that you don't like and the ones we do like.

You know what, fuck it, you win. Celerity, Steve, start picking everyone's music and who they choose to like so you can be that oh so great leader you think you are.

Oh, and when I die, I want to go hang out with my great-grandmother, who I was very close to and who died this past september but i don't think she did anything cool that you would approve of so now I change my mind... i want to go hang out with the person who invented the supra, the vega, and the damn mountains.

Last edited:
have you ever even listened to biggie? your ignorance says no. and yes you are ignorant about this because you keep suming(sp?)

You're the ignorant one - because I don't like him you think "I'm just not listening enough" ? HAHAH Yeah, I've heard him, and his ilk - None of them have talent and they all suck.

I gave it a try and formed an intelligent, solid and well-considered opinion.

You wouldn't be so angry if you listened to some other music. Try some Dido or something.

Back