100 Low lead Gas?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Iquark

Well, I work out at our local airport, and I have cheap access to the AVgas, which is 100 octane low lead. I was wondering if I could use this gas in my car, since my cat is hollowed out? I would only be useing it once in a while, or maybe as an additive to raise the octane rating on the car every tank. Do you guys think this would be okay on my car in the sig?

leaded gas is perfectly fine to run in a car... in fact, its better than reg. gasoline... the only reason they stopped selling it is because its bad for the environment.

Originally posted by DTEC@Nov 27 2003, 04:11 PM
leaded gas is perfectly fine to run in a car... in fact, its better than reg. gasoline... the only reason they stopped selling it is because its bad for the environment.

:newbie: Try running leaded gas and you will see what happens to your spark plugs, gas filter, and your fuel injectors. There is a reason why cars have a "unleaded fuel" only sticker on it. I ran leaded fuel on my old IROC-Z. Wanna see my injectors? :p

Well, I thought that the only reason that it was bad was because of the cat... I know if you have high leaded fuels you can lead fouled plugs, but with normal ammounts, especially in a low lead mix will it really harm anything else?

Originally posted by MXDesa+Nov 27 2003, 01:31 PM-->
@Nov 27 2003, 04:11 PM

:newbie: Try running leaded gas and you will see what happens to your spark plugs, gas filter, and your fuel injectors. There is a reason why cars have a "unleaded fuel" only sticker on it. I ran leaded fuel on my old IROC-Z. Wanna see my injectors? :p

you need to :newbie:
DTEC is correct.
I considered doing the same in my R motor, i'll be running 12.3:1 CR and all we have here is 91 at the pumps

Originally posted by B16+Nov 27 2003, 04:39 PM-->
Originally posted by MXDesa@Nov 27 2003, 01:31 PM
DTEC

DTEC is correct.
I considered doing the same in my R motor, i'll be running 12.3:1 CR and all we have here is 91 at the pumps

Maybe LOW LEAD GAS but try running full leaded gas in your R motor. Then ill laugh

Originally posted by hcivic.com@Nov 27 2003, 02:56 PM
it will foul up the o2 sensor

Ahhh... This is what I was worried about, I had heard this once before, I guess, I'll have to not be cheap and get race gas instead...

Thanks,

Ian

Originally posted by MXDesa+Nov 27 2003, 01:43 PM-->
Originally posted by B16@Nov 27 2003, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by MXDesa@Nov 27 2003, 01:31 PM
DTEC

DTEC is correct.

Maybe LOW LEAD GAS but try running full leaded gas in your R motor. Then ill laugh

wasn't the question about LOW LEAD gas? did i say i was going to run full leaded? no, i was going to do the same thing as iquark.. laf..

well from my understanding full leaded gas can mess up your O2 and also cause some damage to your injectors.

As far as low leaded, well you can see where I am going with this. I don't have hard proof that it will do damage, just some info on what other racing people have spoken to myself about.

i have a h22 swapped accord and i have run about two gallons of avgas (100 low lead) to a full tank of 93 octane and never had any issue and you gotta love how the avgas smells

100 low lead is only "low lead " in relation to to the old 130 octane AVGAS we used to have. It has a much higher lead content than any auto gas. It will most definatly lead foul your plugs and the back of your valves after a very short time and ruin your O2 sensor.
Pappy

Alright... I guess I can't be cheap and run the free gas I can get... By the way, I wonder if being around the avgas every day is bad for my brain because of the lead??? Guess I'll never know. Thanks for all the info.

ssshhhhiiittttt.. iiiiiibeeeenn arrroooouund aaavvvvgggaaass mmy mmyy mmmmy whole liifeeand iiitttttttttttttttttttttt neevveer hhurrtttttttt mmmmmeeeee aaa bbbbbit.
:spin:

Originally posted by MXDesa+Nov 27 2003, 04:31 PM-->

mmmm lead bromidey injectors... :eek:

The tetraethyl lead had a purpose besides helping out octane back in those days, the lead was beneficial to the intake valvetrain as a lubricant (or sealant maybe) on those old pushrod type motors from what I seem to remember my dad telling me about 10 years ago. It didn't have any effect on carburated engines since there weren't injectors like we know them to be.

Back