108 miles

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

asmallsol

Super Moderator
Today I did my first century ride on my road bike. I was up in the UP up at houghton and my buddy got an email from a cycling list saying a few people were heading from houghton michigan to copper harbor and back, taking a few diffrent roads on the way up. Mile 18, was my first big climb. after that, I was good all the way up to copper harbor. Right outside of copper harbor the group of guys wanted to take brockway mountain at about mile 60ish. This is a 900+foot climb over only a few miles. It was honestly the most steepest climb I have ever been on. It was like a wall that just wouldn't stop. Finally once you get to the top, the road down was steep as hell but the pavement was SO bruttle you couldn't go more then 20mph.

Once we got back on the normal road, I was a little tired, but thought I was going to make it all the way with the group. However at about mile 80, I was in pain. At 85 we ran into another big climb and it was time for me to step off the pace. I had to go it alone. Said have a good ride and cya later. I climb really slow and tried to make it to the next town. Water bottles were almost dry and I was in trubble. So I ride for about 4 or so miles and finally run into a town. Turns out the other guys took a stop at that town and I cought back up to them. So I end up joining them. They were all pretty tired so we were moving pretty slow. There were 3 more climbs until home. First one seemed like it never would end. 2 climbs later, we finally get to the last decent and finally led to home. At that point I was so tired, I didn't even pedal. I just put myself in the most areodynamic tuck and waited. Eventually I get to mainstreet with a tail wind and flew through town. Finally we get to the end. 108.8x miles in just over 5 hours.

This was the longest ride so far by 78 miles, and that was downstate where its flat as hell. It was defently a hard ride, but worthwhile. This is something that I wanted to do for a while and now I feel accomplished. I am going to sleep well tonight

Last edited:
Nice. What kind of saddle do you ride? My junk and crack get pretty tired of my saddle on my roadie after 20 miles or so.

At the age of 10 years old I biked the shoreline of england. With my father, brother, and one of my brother's friends. We did it in three days stoping to make camp at night.

No idea how far that was, but it seemed like a million miles at that age. We didnt go into scottland or whales, just biked along the border of england until we came back to our starting point. Not to mention biking from home to the shore and back (60 miles itself).

when i was 10, i went with my dad and about 10 other guys on a tour of long island. We took the ferry across the Sound, and landed in Sag Harbor new york.

Day out, to Montauk point (the very end of LI), camped out, and came back the same way home. it was about 80 miles each way if i remember correctly....

and i did it on a moutain bike, my Trek 950 single track... lol

for my saddle I have a Specialized Avatar. Its part of the Body Geomatry line. The cut out on the saddle is advertised as to not cut of curculation to your ... stuff.

Back