12:0:1 compression...safe?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

how high of a compression do you think is still safe for a daily driven b18c with a built block? im thinking of going 12:0:1 but 11:5:1 sounds alittle safer. although i'll lose some power from the compression, but making a motor last a while is pretty important.

anyone here knows someone thats driving with a 12:0:1 daily and isnt detonation at low end or when starting up the call while its hot?

Originally posted by allmotorbeasteg6@Aug 27 2004, 10:06 PM
how high of a compression do you think is still safe for a daily driven b18c with a built block? im thinking of going 12:0:1 but 11:5:1 sounds alittle safer. although i'll lose some power from the compression, but making a motor last a while is pretty important.

anyone here knows someone thats driving with a 12:0:1 daily and isnt detonation at low end or when starting up the call while its hot?
[post=382949]Quoted post[/post]​

its all about tuning, my buddy runs 12:8:1 on pump gas, 12:0:1 will be fine if tuned properly, I wouldn't go any higher just because it sucks having to retard soo much to get it to run on pump gas...

Originally posted by allmotorbeasteg6@Aug 28 2004, 01:06 AM

Depending on what cams you are using, you might make more power with the 11:5

well im using a b16a head with some jg race cams, so i do have some pretty aggessive cams for the high compression. maybe ill just go with 11:8:1. :D

Originally posted by allmotorbeasteg6@Aug 28 2004, 02:08 PM
well im using a b16a head with some jg race cams, so i do have some pretty aggessive cams for the high compression. maybe ill just go with 11:8:1. :D
[post=383037]Quoted post[/post]​

Find out the dynamic compresson with those cams, and you find out exactly how much compression will net the most power. Why guess when you can be sure?

Originally posted by allmotorbeasteg6@Aug 27 2004, 11:06 PM

Talk to Cal. :)

Seriously just make sure you have cams with enough lift and duration to make use of all that compression. There is nothing inherently wrong running 12.xx:1 CR, but if it isn't tuned properly, stuff starts blowing up. The dyno + tuning sessions are your friends.

does your car ping while driving or denate when starting up the car while its hot? btw, what degrees is your timing set at?

Mine? No detonation, base timing at 14 degrees BTDC right now... was at 16 with 2 degrees advance on the intake cam, but we got lazy and put the cam back at zero without reindicating the distributor.

Back