12 Second Setups Wanted

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

11's? who said anything about 11's

how about 10's there junior :D

Milan

Originally posted by JDMilan@May 20 2003, 12:49 AM
LS crank, STOCK stroke, NOT knifed.

I think I heard it before but what exactly is the deal with the knife-edged crank (is that even what its called)? What's done and how does it help?

Originally posted by preluderjs+May 22 2003, 01:36 AM-->
@May 20 2003, 12:49 AM

I think I heard it before but what exactly is the deal with the knife-edged crank (is that even what its called)? What's done and how does it help?

Knife edging is shaving weight off your crank, much like resurfacing your flywheel, lets the engine rev up quicker due to lessening the rotational mass. The crank also cuts through the oil easier. It does weaken the crank tho, so IMO its not worth the 3 hp you will get from it if your car is daily driven.

b, you do realize that to run these times that your engine needs to be INSIDE a car right? like, you know... under the hood, propelling a car, not sitting on a pallet in your parents garage :p

I was going to go to the track last night, but they had some special event.
It is an LS/VTEC with CTR pistons, stock cams, camgears, Fuel pressure regulator, stock intake manifold, stock GSR header. Everything else is stock. This is in a 90 hatchback, No A/C and other useless stuff removed. But not totally gutted. On slicks this should run 12's.
I will get back with track numbers, but it dynoed at 177 to the wheel.

Not bad, with slicks and 185-109ish Whp you should get it.

Milan

Originally posted by TypeRcivic+May 22 2003, 03:42 PM-->
Originally posted by preluderjs@May 22 2003, 01:36 AM
JDMilan

Knife edging is shaving weight off your crank, much like resurfacing your flywheel, lets the engine rev up quicker due to lessening the rotational mass. The crank also cuts through the oil easier. It does weaken the crank tho, so IMO its not worth the 3 hp you will get from it if your car is daily driven.

i think knife edging IS WELL WORTH IT!!! in my old NA set up, i was easily in the high 12's... i have a whole new set up now that is so much slower... i couldnt figure out why but i did realize the differences driving the car with a knife-edged crank and a non knife-edged crank

hey JDMilan... are you the same guy who was at palmdale at grudge night from Ericks Racing, with the stock block and some crazy port work on a daily driven Hatch???

if so then i saw you race a turbo GSR civic [i think it was a gsr]... but the guy thought he was all bad ass rllin in with his huge front mount and you dusted him...

hit me up, hopefully you can pass by the socal meet up im trying to plan on july 18th in palmdale

Originally posted by 2 litre EG@May 24 2003, 12:50 PM
i think knife edging IS WELL WORTH IT!!! in my old NA set up, i was easily in the high 12's... i have a whole new set up now that is so much slower... i couldnt figure out why but i did realize the differences driving the car with a knife-edged crank and a non knife-edged crank

Well, u have 2 different setups, and in those 2 setups there could be a LOT of other factors that could result in it "feeling" slower than your older one. Unless all your factors are the same EXCEPT that you did knife edging on one and not the other then you cant really say "the reason it feels slower is cause of the knife-eding"

Originally posted by TypeRcivic+May 24 2003, 09:57 AM-->
2 litre EG
@May 24 2003, 12:50 PM

Well, u have 2 different setups, and in those 2 setups there could be a LOT of other factors that could result in it "feeling" slower than your older one. Unless all your factors are the same EXCEPT that you did knife edging on one and not the other then you cant really say "the reason it feels slower is cause of the knife-eding"

set-ups are almost identical... the new set up has HIGHER COMPRESSION than the previous and the new set up is a 2 litre Ls/VTEC... while the previous was a 1.8 ls/vtec... so tell me why is my 2 litre slower than the 1.8 that was knife edged

major differences were that:

1.8: b16 tranny, knife edged crank, balanced crank, LESS compression, slightly lighter on the scales

2.0: gsr tranny [4.7 final gear and Quaife LSD on the way], HIGHER compression

so NOW TELL ME what you think the reason was the RPMS rev'd 100x faster and the car was a lil under 1 full second faster

B)

Originally posted by 2 litre EG+May 24 2003, 01:21 PM-->
Originally posted by TypeRcivic@May 24 2003, 09:57 AM
2 litre EG
i think knife edging IS WELL WORTH IT!!!  in my old NA set up, i was easily in the high 12's...  i have a whole new set up now that is so much slower...  i couldnt figure out why but i did realize the differences driving the car with a knife-edged crank and a non knife-edged crank

set-ups are almost identical... the new set up has HIGHER COMPRESSION than the previous and the new set up is a 2 litre Ls/VTEC... while the previous was a 1.8 ls/vtec... so tell me why is my 2 litre slower than the 1.8 that was knife edged

1.8: b16 tranny, knife edged crank, balanced crank, LESS compression, slightly lighter on the scales

so NOW TELL ME what you think the reason was the RPMS rev'd 100x faster and the car was a lil under 1 full second faster

B)

Did you do any porting work to the head of the old setup? Valvetrain mods in old setup? Different flywheel/clutch in old setup? Did your old setup have an Lsd?

Originally posted by 2 litre EG+May 24 2003, 11:21 AM-->
Originally posted by TypeRcivic@May 24 2003, 09:57 AM
2 litre EG
i think knife edging IS WELL WORTH IT!!!  in my old NA set up, i was easily in the high 12's...  i have a whole new set up now that is so much slower...  i couldnt figure out why but i did realize the differences driving the car with a knife-edged crank and a non knife-edged crank

B)

I believe part of the rev's rising faster would be because of the shorter geared B16 Tranny.

Originally posted by TypeRcivic+May 22 2003, 06:42 PM-->
Originally posted by preluderjs@May 22 2003, 01:36 AM
JDMilan

i find this amusing...we have a knife edged crank in a 1970 chevelle 454 SS, driven hard all the time 3 years now and not a problem, several people around here have same crank in hondas and even a Hyundai and all daily driven some 30-40,000 miles no probs.....hmmmmm?

2literEG, nope not me, I reside in boca raton, southeast florida. good runs in your ride though and thanks for the clip. )free post)

Milan

:huh: I forgot what this post was about.......

..I mean......I know, I started reading it for some reason. Now I'm thinking..."what was the last quote?"..... knife edging, yeah. :unsure:

Back