12V to 5V DC Step Down Regulator?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

newb

phresh
VIP
Ok, so Im workin on a project that will have a 12V power supply. Battery sometimes, wall adapter other times. I will have multiple items drawing power at the same time. Some need 12V and some need 5V. The 5V line would be used to charge a cell phone and power a bluetooth reciever. Both require a 5V 1A feed, and I wont be able to use the wall chargers that already feed the 5V.

Im lookin to make somethin of my own using a 7805 regulator, instead of paying double for somethin pre built, then paying that again for shipping.

Question is, in this application, do I need to use capacitors with the 7805 chip? I know the capacitors smooth the current, but will that be a problem for me? Are either of those components sensitive to noise?

If I need the capacitors, I might buy a regulator just to keep things looking clean. Any recomendations on one that feeds 1A? All I can find, feed 3A.

Thats one of the 3A ones I was talkin about. I need 1A. Also, is that one just a chip, or does it have capacitors in it?

Not sure- it's a closed box. I guess I was going to do quite a bit more than just one, so I wasn't worried about quantity. You can order low quantities of 7805 chips from Digikey if you need them, or any electronics supply store...

Oh wait, but you know that. Not sure on the capacitors- I didn't pay attention to much of my obligatory circuits class- but it probably isn't a bad idea to build a small filter circuit on the output of your 7805.

Back