14s or 15s?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

uconn1150

Happy New Year!

I'm looking to lose the 13 inch steelies...I have a 93 DX sedan and am looking for a bit better handling. I'm glad I didn't get the lowering springs since I frequently have the car loaded up with friends and I actually scraped some driveways fully loaded.

Anyways, I'm thinking of going with 14s since I still would like a comfortable ride. The 15s would probably be a lot rougher, but maybe not. What are your experiences/opinions?

Thanks!
:ph34r:

if you want good handling, your going to sacrifice the ride a lil.....for handleing, youll have to get a tire with a stiff sidewall....people dont realize it but its makes alot of diff, i was in a hatch that had good ass stiff sided tires on gsr 15's....it handled great and then he switched them to the stock donuts that were 13's with shitty tires and it went to shit....there was a huge difference in handleing....

Originally posted by mwvnos@Jan 1 2004, 10:30 AM
if you want good handling, your going to sacrifice the ride a lil.....for handleing, youll have to get a tire with a stiff sidewall....people dont realize it but its makes alot of diff, i was in a hatch that had good ass stiff sided tires on gsr 15's....it handled great and then he switched them to the stock donuts that were 13's with shitty tires and it went to shit....there was a huge difference in handleing....

:werd: :D actually it was the dounuts and then the 15s..but you get the picture! ;)

You can still get good tires in 14's. I do think that 15's look better, however, in autox, there are alot of people that run with 13's and 14's to stay in stock class. One of the best examples is with almost all civics came with either 13's or 14's. To run in stock class, you can get new wheels as long as they are no bigger then a stock option. If 14's were offered as an option, you can run a 14, as long as they are not over 7 inches wide (could be 8, if you really want to know check the rules) A good budget set up that many use is the civic HX wheel (11 lb 14 inch OEM wheel) with some falken azenis (sp). The Falken azenis are and extremly gripy, very stiff side wall tire.

If you want 15's, you will have more options in tire sizes.

Originally posted by lude68+Jan 1 2004, 10:56 AM-->
@Jan 1 2004, 10:30 AM

:werd: :D actually it was the dounuts and then the 15s..but you get the picture! ;)

acually i was refering to drew back in the day...

Yeah, that's the prob, not too many choices in the 14s...maybe that is the best way to go though...not really looking for looks, just a shot in the rear for better handling/tires...c'mon 13s aren't great...unless you put racing tires on.....

15x7's
205/50/15's

and get some damn shocks! lol

15s, you need to be able to fit bigger brakes. 13s are for drag racing; hence you cant fit big brakes in there.

Originally posted by rudeludenotmeanthough@Jan 2 2004, 12:16 AM
for better handling get you a wider tire

not always .... a tire that is too wide for your rim will hurt handling more than it will help

you dont want your sidewalls balooning out.... it will just make the car sloppy at turn in

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Jan 1 2004, 03:40 PM
15x7's
205/50/15's

and get some damn shocks! lol

:withstupid:

the only advantage a 14" wheel might have over a 15" one would be less rotating weight / quicker acceleration...thats why i went with 14's instead of 15's on my crx..because it doesn't have alot of power under the hood. if you can live with the slower acceleration, or if your car has good torque and power then go for the 15's.

BTW, you can also choose 15x6.5"s with 195/50/15 tires. The 205's are wider, but they have a little more sidewall. I checked out a crx that just won a pro road race against other pro-built hondas (worldspeed honda challenge) and it had 195/50/15s. im talking about one of the JDM Motorsports' gold crx's.

Back