15" Tire choice - daily driven turbo CRX

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

radnulb

I just made my life considerably harder... My 14" wheels are gone.

I have a set of Rota Group-N wheels chillin in the basement with Dunlop Sport SPs that are almost worn out. No more than a thousand miles (maybe less with camber wear) and they're toast. I just traded my 90 teg old school blades (hee hee) and some loot for a set of 95 GSR wheels. So, my original plans for tires are scrapped because I'm going to have two sets of 15s, and the 14" vs 15" tire selection is... different.

I am reasonably sure that I am going to get a set of Azenis for the Group N wheels (15x6.5 - 205/50/R15 Azenis) unless someone else can suggest a super-sticky moderately fun street tire for under $75 shipped a tire. My friends who have had both Azenis and drag radials speak more highly of the Azenis, and they're more practical too.

The debate is now what to get for the GSR wheels... First off, are 95 GSR wheels 15x6" or 15x6.5"? I've run everything from a 195/45/R15 to a 215/50/R15 (fenderwells are cleared out) on my old 15x7" p.o.s. wheels, so tiresize is somewhat flexible. Priorities:
1. Good treadwear
2. PRICE
3. Predictable in rain/light snow
4. Good dry grip

I don't care at all about noise. These are all intended for a turbocharged B18B CRX that weighs about 1850lbs w/o driver, 160lbs driver. Dropped ~2.5", GC/AGX, with camber kits (currently set around -1 degree).

Any experiences good / bad on either a fairly performance oriented tire to fit on a 15x6.5" or a compromise tire for the GSR wheels?

i believe that they are 6in.

but i believe that "technically" you can put a 205 on a 5in wheel so you should also be able to put azenis on the fat 5s

I don't want Azenis on both sets of tires. Azenis are too crappy in the winter for my tastes. I want more of a compromise tire for the fat-5s.

the whole good dry grip and Predictable in rain/snow is a tough one

Toyo T1-S and Yokohoma AVS ES-100's are both good summer tires, and will hold up better than Azenis but the predictability with snow is that they will spin. I have experience wiht the ZVS ES100-s and they are pretty nice tires on dry pavement and do ok in the rain, but they are a summer tire so their snow performance is terrible.

they will run you about.....$100 a tire maybe less

bridgestone potenza s-03 pole positions. awesome summer tire and fair very well in rain and snow from what i hear. they are expensive though, like 95/tire for 195/50/15 and 126/tire for 205/50/15

TireRack.com always has a special going on 195/50/15 tires... they used to sell S-03s really cheap, but not anymore.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?ti...romCompare1=yes

Those are the Dunlop SP9000s. They come standard on quite a few Audis and Benzes, and are a great compromise tire for rain and dry traction. I was considering these for a while myself. TireRack.com has them for $68 a tire in 195/50/15 before shipping.

The 94-95 GSR wheels (fat fives) are 15x6. You won't have any problems putting 205/50/15 tires on them at all. That's what I currently run on my Civic daily, and 205/50/15 on a 15x6 is what comes stock on the mid 90s Sentra SE-Rs also. It's a factory fitment, so any decent 205/50, 195/55, or 195/50 will fit great on your GSR wheels.

The Bridgestone RE750 is really good too- but a little more expensive. I'm personally a Bridgestone fan, so I'm biased...

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?ti...romCompare1=yes

TireRack.com has these for $80 each in 195/50.

has anyone had the ES100s and the AVS-i to be able to make a direct comparison? AVS-i and Azenis? AVS-i and Dunlop Sport SP5000/9000?

I've never been able to make direct comparisons with those on the same car... but after driving on the AVS-i for a while, my opinion was that their wet traction really SUCKED. Any of those tires listed should be considerably better in the wet than the AVS-i. Go read some reviews on TireRack.com. All the cars that come with SP9000s from the factory can't be wrong.

i dont have experience with the AVS-i but i do with the ES100;s

they are ok in the wet, better than Escta Supra's

Back