160 sq miles of ice shelf collapses

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

reckedracing

TTIWWOP
VIP
Yahoo!

7 times the size of manhattan
no expected rise in sea levels

interesting satelite pictures

I just yelled wow in the middle of class.

I feel stupid now

I was looking for a current event to write a paper on..
I'm going to use this.
Thanks.
=]

I don't know if I understand the global warming idea. I mean, sure, it's obvious that the Earth is getting a little warmer all the time, but if it's too warm, then what isn't too warm? Do the [insert tree hugger name here]ists even know what temperature they want to maintain, or just that it's getting too warm? I mean shit, if it wasn't global warming, it'd be global cooling. Fuck it. And say a rise in sea level happens. Or some other catastrophic event happens, what will we do? We'll adapt, just like we've done since we originated.

EDIT:

On a complete opposite note though, while I was in Alaska last summer, I saw some of the most amazing glacier sites, and they've marked where it was say 10, 20, and 30 years ago, and it's definitely melting. I guess just things like that are a shame kind of to see happen. But again, whatever.

Pic of a glacier, Exit Glacier to be exact. Notice the size of the man, circled in red, compared to the glacier. Stuff like that, I guess it is sad to see go, but the pictures just don't do justice.

I guess I'm a hypocrite of myself.

Attachments

• glacier.JPG
    glacier.JPG
    32.5 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:
I don't know if I understand the global warming idea. I mean, sure, it's obvious that the Earth is getting a little warmer all the time, but if it's too warm, then what isn't too warm? Do the [insert tree hugger name here]ists even know what temperature they want to maintain, or just that it's getting too warm? I mean shit, if it wasn't global warming, it'd be global cooling. Fuck it. And say a rise in sea level happens. Or some other catastrophic event happens, what will we do? We'll adapt, just like we've done since we originated.
the ocean temperatures are rising. actual land temperature averages are decreasing.

but yes, there is always going to be some global catastrophe that politicians will want to use to "change the world".

Hey when I wake up at 6am in the middle of Feburary and its 70 degrees out side I will start to worry then.

the ocean temperatures are rising. actual land temperature averages are decreasing.

but yes, there is always going to be some global catastrophe that politicians will want to use to "change the world".

THANK YOU, in the 70s it was actually global cooling. Now, the opposite.

There are lots of things to do better, and lots of reasons to clean up our own habits and environment - but the way that global "change" is being phrased is NOT one of them.

Just look at Mexico City, read about how olympiads can't breathe in China, and then compare to our own world and clean air. All of the measures are worth it, but in the name of "Global Change" is not.

I'm hoping that Global Change is just a way of getting people off their ass to do something in their own lives about it. I see a lof of people moving to motorcycles and smaller cars, but it's just a start. I have the feeling I'll know for sure that it's all a scam when I'm standing in line at the Grocery store to buy carbon credits.

This is the MODEL of what's happening, but nothing in observation has yet to change this model.

I can see how the "science" is greatly misread, but you need to examine the possibility.... the rare, one-off possibility that you may just be wrong.

I saw something on the National Geographic Channel that was interesting.

It talked about past global warming events and how the earth scrubbed out the carbon. Eventually a lot of it was absorbed underground and trapped. Curiously most of this stuff is what we are now burning as fossil fuel, in effect re-releasing the carbon into the atmosphere.

I wish I could remember more specifics, it was an interesting show...

global warming.... global cooling... blah blah blah

i want coin the term global instability

Please, do ! They now call it"climate change" but it's important to realise that sometimes the story is told to you in such a way to make you scared, sometimes it's told in an effort of badmouthing Bush, and other times it's to get us to join Kyoto, which is a BAD idea.

i dont listen to those posers (bush, gore). i know what i see. it's considered spring, and it's pouring down snow. and the heart winter held days warmer than today. location: portage, indiana.

In iceland the weather changes every five minutes sometimes. They are used to it but they call it tourist weather cause they love to watch thm react.

And yes, a lot of the global climate change stuff is spin.

:ph34r:

Attachments

• glacier.JPG
    glacier.JPG
    35.8 KB · Views: 90
Back