What does a exhaust resonator do?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

is takes pplace for ur cat, it will be kinda loud, because the cat cuts down on loudness but u will get more hp so do it

Nope, a real resonator is a glass pack or small muffler looking thing, designed to mellow out the tone of your exhaust. Used in conjunction with your catalytic converter (emissions) and your muffler (self explainatory), the resonator attempts to break up the sound of each combustion into more of a hum.

If you put your lips together and blow, out comes THBBBBBBT!.. Do the same thing to a horn, and you get a pleasant, solid tone instead. Same thing, basically.

Last edited:
is takes pplace for ur cat, it will be kinda loud, because the cat cuts down on loudness but u will get more hp so do it

Uh...did you not create a thread asking about this very subject? And did we not give you a good 2-3 pages full of explanation on it? Jesus Christ dude...you are hopeless...

Perhaps this means he is willing to learn, thus has hope?

Time will tell.

if i take out my resonator and put in a straight pipe will it help with mpg or not?

straight pipe as in no CAT either.. you'll be loud as fuck and burn more gas

wasnt sure if he was tlking just running complete straight pipes w no cats or muffler or puttin a straight pipe in place of resonator .. lol... in that case agree w ya,

Not always true, except for the loud as shit part.

<-57mpg hwy with mid-dump straight pipe ;) If anything, I was using the noise to help modulate the gas; If you gave it too much or too little gas, it would be even louder.

i was thinking of just dropping the resonator and maybe a high flow cat. as for the muffler i have a flowmaster i was going to keep it. but if it does not help i'll just leave it as is. thanks for the replys

it waits till your sleeping then pees all over your face

why would you want to be louder? just draws attention to your self ,i would leave it on there because trust me police are looking for cars that are louder especialy hondas or any import

Back