17" wheels and shaking

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

95tegls

I have a 95 integra ls with brand new tokico adjustable struts and 17" Enkie wheels wrapped in toyo fz4 rubber. The struts are on 5 and the springs are still stock. Ever since I put the 17" wheels on i'm getting a vibration at 65 mph and over. The wheels are balanced, aligned, and even got the hub rings and the guys at the tire place said the bigger the wheel the bigger the vibration. Is this true? The vibration makes the wheel wobble back and forth and I even feel it in the pedal and can actually see my radar dectector bounce back and forth. What do I need to be looking for and has anyone else ever heard of "the bigger the wheel the bigger the vibration. "?

Thanks.
DB

welps i don't really know about the bigger the wheels the bigger the vibration but i could relate because i had the same problem with my teg but its a 93 teg though i use to have some 17's on it and they were bouncing around 60-65 mph and you could see my hood and my tach jumping along with it i thought the wheels weren't balance right so i got it rebalance a couple of times but it still did the same so i put on my 18's and it still did the same. Welps at the time i was also running on some skunk2 coilovers and some dead stock springs i thought it was that but it wasn't to so to make a long story short i took it to the shop to put an after market camber kit on it and it never did it again.

An after market camber kit? How much for one of those and what brand should I get? I been rebalanced, rotated, and aligned and the lugs aren't loose. Thanks for the replies..

DB

I've hit insane speeds in several cars/trucks with many different size wheels and tires. I had 225/45/17's on my car(before stolen) and hit about 110, with absolutely no vibration. So tell that SOB to shove it up his ass!!!!

i agree, i can firmly say thats this guys is full of shit! That was a cop out and a half, either cause he didnt wanna deal with it or he knew he had no idea.

I just called acura and told them what the problem was and they told me it was most likely the balance even after I told him its been balanced 4 times and aligned once. Mechanics around here think they know whats wrong even before they look at your car. I'm taking it in tom to have an oil leak looked at and to have them do a complete workup of the suspension. What should I tell them to inspect besides driveshaft, wheel bearings, tie rods, struts........Please help! The problem keeps getting worse and it feels like my car is gonna shake apart at speeds higher than 65. I wish people would stop blaming the wheels and tires. I got 17" Enkie and toyo fz4 205-40 17's.

Thanks.

Back