1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

180-200 whp - turbo or swap?

Discussion in 'Civic and del Sol - EG and EK' started by 8wrench, Mar 18, 2008.

1. 8wrench

8wrench New Member

I am looking to turn my 92 si into a reliable DD with around 180-200 WHP, and I'm looking for insight as to whether I should boost my z6 or do a b-series swap. I have never driven either so I have no experience in terms of which I like more or the differences in drivability, if anyone has driven both can leave some feedback it would be appreciated.

Basically I don't have the time or the knowledge to do major work like a swap, I work between 25-28 days a month and I am looking for a fun, reliable driver for when I am in town. I would like to go with the more cost efficient option, although if one is far better than the other I wouldn't mind spending some extra cash.

2. AHHVTEC

AHHVTEC Well-Known Member VIP

i would just boost the d series with good tune

3. 8wrench

8wrench New Member

4. AHHVTEC

well you can turbo what you have for less than what a swap will cost. i mean 180 hp is perty easy to get with a tubo d

5. nootrac22

nootrac22 Well-Known Member VIP

*waits for blanco*

6. Turbo&Auto

Turbo&Auto Nick Go FAST!!

^werd, this is def his thread :)

They are right though, boost the current engine. Your HP goals are very realistic and reasonable. A homemade turbo setup on that motor would be cheap and get you what youre after.

7. 8wrench

8wrench New Member

Perfect thanks for the replies. Yeah I'm still pretty new but Blanco seems like he knows his shit, I'd be interested in hearing his .02.

Basically if I'm doing the turbo D I want to rebuild everything since the engine has 257,000 km (167,000 miles) on it. I'm trying to gather a list of all the little common wear and tear parts I need, trying to figure out which parts need a major rebuild etc. I want solid power all the way through the band, with worry free RPMs to 8500 or so.

The engine is dirty as fuck too if I get a day off sometime I'd like to make it look nice again, I almost went for a swap so I wouldn't have to mess around finding replacement odds and ends so the bay doesn't look ghetto.

8. AHHVTEC

ahh hell man if your doing a rebuild your good to go, just get better rods and you can go for 200+..but yea blanco is the d series king around these parts.

9. Turbo&Auto

Setup the turbo and get your tune down on the stock beat motor. It will last awhile still. I boosted my Accord at 200K and it last more then 25K miles still.

10. LightWeightChamp

LightWeightChamp Honda FTW!

b18c R, with bolt ons and a tune 190hp easy

11. AHHVTEC

yea and a 4000+ price tag

12. LightWeightChamp

yep! but he says he dosnt mind spending cash, and there is only so much you can do with a d, and with k series coming up fast b series is getting cheaper by the day!

13. Turbo&Auto

I would rather have the torque then the high rev power, just my .02

14. LightWeightChamp

true, if he wont go b, the turbo the d right fully built head, block, then hes got room to work with when he has more $$ like bigger turbo, and could make 300+

15. 92civicb18b1

92civicb18b1 The Trisexual

Sorry lightweightchamp, you have ideas/opinion and input.......they're just poor and thoughtless.

Your mind is in Bling city, you're picking a motor for the Type Rness. The motor in itself isn't anything too spectacular. A GSR or poor man's C5 are much better choices if he was going the swap route.

His goal is extremely feasible with the D series, the turbo D will also have nice all around power, with a correctly sized turbo, minimal lag as well. With his reasonable HP goal he also will have decent driveability.

I have plenty of knowledge on both routes, but my opinion would be to rebuild and turbo the D

16. AHHVTEC

also with the turbo d series you will have torque, where a bolt on b series wont

17. rexaddict

rexaddict turbo ex

I have a turboed d16y8 in 99 Civic and I love it. It was very cost effective and the power for around town is great. You could probably run the same parts I have for $2000 to $2500. Then again you could get a b16 swap from H Motors Online for around $1700 shipped. If you dont have time then have a shop put it in. There are some shop around here that will install complete swaps for around $400 to $1000 depending on car, engine, etc. With the right turbo you will have power alot sooner than you would with a b16, which is good for around town. I vote turbo it.

Oh yeah, how many miles are on your engine.

18. honda_boy911

honda_boy911 New Member

i would personally say buy a gsr(b18C) buy a skunk2 intake mani, header and exhaust, get it tuned and you will be able to make 180 whp. couple more bolt ons and you will get more power.

19. SLOWdelawareEG

SLOWdelawareEG my cars go fast

+1

20. Matts96HB

Matts96HB . Moderator VIP

My b18b says otherwise :)

+1 for turboing the D-Series though.

I really wish I would have done that in the first place.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted