180-200 whp - turbo or swap?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

8wrench

I am looking to turn my 92 si into a reliable DD with around 180-200 WHP, and I'm looking for insight as to whether I should boost my z6 or do a b-series swap. I have never driven either so I have no experience in terms of which I like more or the differences in drivability, if anyone has driven both can leave some feedback it would be appreciated.

Basically I don't have the time or the knowledge to do major work like a swap, I work between 25-28 days a month and I am looking for a fun, reliable driver for when I am in town. I would like to go with the more cost efficient option, although if one is far better than the other I wouldn't mind spending some extra cash.

well you can turbo what you have for less than what a swap will cost. i mean 180 hp is perty easy to get with a tubo d

^werd, this is def his thread :)

They are right though, boost the current engine. Your HP goals are very realistic and reasonable. A homemade turbo setup on that motor would be cheap and get you what youre after.

Perfect thanks for the replies. Yeah I'm still pretty new but Blanco seems like he knows his shit, I'd be interested in hearing his .02.

Basically if I'm doing the turbo D I want to rebuild everything since the engine has 257,000 km (167,000 miles) on it. I'm trying to gather a list of all the little common wear and tear parts I need, trying to figure out which parts need a major rebuild etc. I want solid power all the way through the band, with worry free RPMs to 8500 or so.

The engine is dirty as fuck too if I get a day off sometime I'd like to make it look nice again, I almost went for a swap so I wouldn't have to mess around finding replacement odds and ends so the bay doesn't look ghetto.

ahh hell man if your doing a rebuild your good to go, just get better rods and you can go for 200+..but yea blanco is the d series king around these parts.

Setup the turbo and get your tune down on the stock beat motor. It will last awhile still. I boosted my Accord at 200K and it last more then 25K miles still.

yep! but he says he dosnt mind spending cash, and there is only so much you can do with a d, and with k series coming up fast b series is getting cheaper by the day!

I would rather have the torque then the high rev power, just my .02

true, if he wont go b, the turbo the d right fully built head, block, then hes got room to work with when he has more $$ like bigger turbo, and could make 300+

Sorry lightweightchamp, you have ideas/opinion and input.......they're just poor and thoughtless.

Your mind is in Bling city, you're picking a motor for the Type Rness. The motor in itself isn't anything too spectacular. A GSR or poor man's C5 are much better choices if he was going the swap route.

His goal is extremely feasible with the D series, the turbo D will also have nice all around power, with a correctly sized turbo, minimal lag as well. With his reasonable HP goal he also will have decent driveability.

I have plenty of knowledge on both routes, but my opinion would be to rebuild and turbo the D

also with the turbo d series you will have torque, where a bolt on b series wont

I have a turboed d16y8 in 99 Civic and I love it. It was very cost effective and the power for around town is great. You could probably run the same parts I have for $2000 to $2500. Then again you could get a b16 swap from H Motors Online for around $1700 shipped. If you dont have time then have a shop put it in. There are some shop around here that will install complete swaps for around $400 to $1000 depending on car, engine, etc. With the right turbo you will have power alot sooner than you would with a b16, which is good for around town. I vote turbo it.

Oh yeah, how many miles are on your engine.

i would personally say buy a gsr(b18C) buy a skunk2 intake mani, header and exhaust, get it tuned and you will be able to make 180 whp. couple more bolt ons and you will get more power.

Hahaha. I see that my reputation precedes me. :D

For $1500-2000 you can easily hit your goal with your stock engine. Make sure it's healthy and if it is you can put a turbo on it, tune it, and have fun. Any B-Series will cost you around $600-1000 just to drop in, in stock form. You can use that to rebuild your Z6. However, if you don't feel comfortable swapping an engine I don't think you'll be anywhere near comfortable rebuilding an engine.

You won't get 8500rpm out of a D16 without serious and seriously expensive head modifications. With their 90mm stroke these engines provide strong low and midrange power. You can make the same power at a lower RPM and your engine will be that much more reliable because of it.

+1

Back