1965 Corvair mid V8

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

CoolStoryBrocopy.jpg

Fuckin trolls.

EDIT: This needs to be here.
attacking_troll_trollcat.jpg

Last edited:
stick with the V-8

I bough this car about 7 months ago for 1000$ ( 65 Corvair V8 M/R) , it has a 350 with common bolt on and the stock trans, It drives and all that shit but the tranny insert shaft keeps braking cause the V8 is way to over powered. They say a 305 is the best with no major bolt on cause tranny issues. So i just gave up on it and let it sit, i dont want to make the car F/R so i was thinking, 3.8 National motor with low boost? My question is can i make this work, dose any one know any thing about this? thanks.
Sorry, but , I couldn't resist putting in my 10 cents worth. IF you already have the car set-up for the V-8, ... I would stick with it. First pull that pig 350 out of there and sell it to a kid who doesn't know any better.
I recommend the venerable 283.... the best engine ever built be chevy. IF you can't find one, get a 307 block , and use a 262 crank [3,1 stroke]. Use the old double hump heads w/ 1.94 valves [64cc chambers] or 305 heads with enlarged intakes to 1.94 [58cc chambers]. The 305 heads are available from several sources on E-bay. Use a cam [preferably Crower] with about 290 advertised duration. A dual plane manifold with a 500cfm Edelbrock carb [forget the hot rod books]. What you have accomplished is dampen the torque significantly. NOOOOO, it won't snap your neck when you leave the traffic light, but it will have plenty of GOOOO, at 40 mph, and at 60mph , it will COME ALIVE!!! YES. this combination will give you a long smooth torque curve which will save you a lot of parts [and money]. You can put this together , AT LEAST, as cheaply as the Buick , and use more parts you already have..............

Thats the most fucked up setup Ive ever heard. Ive run cams with advertised duration in the 290's. That big of a cam in a small block needs more than a 305 head, and it sure as hell needs more valve than 1.94. An Edelbrock 500 would be like puttin a drinkin straw on the top of the manifold (with a 290 sized cam anyways). With a proper setup around a big cam, the last thing a 283 would have is torque. Youd hafta be up over 4k RPM to make any power period.

I say 305 heads are worth more for scrap metal than any thing else. This project is still collecting dust in my home garage, im looking for a chevy G body car to snatch the frame off... only problem is this is 2010 an most G body cars have been crushed for many reasons..

^incorrect..well i know CT still has retarded amounts of g-bodys..mostly the body is rotting off though lol

Back