1983 Honda Civic 1.5 S

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I have a 1983 Civic. I'm trying to put a b-series motor in this thing. Does anyone know anything about these cars? I have had it for awhile now and I just haven't ever got around to finding anything for it. I have yet to find any body kits or any info on what parts will work on this car.( suspension, brakes, etc...) The car has a 1.5 engine with 5 speed tranny. I bought the car when i was 19 and 2 days after I took the car home it blew a head gasket and has been sitting in my garage ever since. this was in 2001. I just recently started a good paying job that i can swap in a motor finally and i have seen that alot of honda stuff works on other hondas. Anything would be great.. P.S. the car is stamped for the same month and year that i was born in.... match made at birth i think so.....

Last edited:
I think i did see something on one i didn't know if there were any b18 blocks swaps done. say a b18 or even a b20? I was told that the blocks are all the same externally? is this the case if so then the swap would be possible then to swap a b20z with a b16 trans and the mounts would be the same as in the white 82 that i saw with the b16a swap. im curious as if i could do a zc swap in this thing?

yup all b series are the same except the prelude and vigor b series there way diffrent,

nice im trying to think of a decent swap to do but i was thinking of trying to piece one together to make a decent stock looking all motor setup. say use the block from the crv and use the head off of a itr or whatever dohc and vtec head that would be possible to use on the b20 block.

is there any other threads on this model? this one doesn't show the other mounts? do you know of any others that do?

Right on another rocket i would like to see a 83 S w/ the B- in it hope to see this swap i had no probs w/ the mounts and set up for all B motors B16-B17-B18-B20 same mount placement the diffrence is the trans hydro or cable are the diffrence.
have fun bud! the swap is a big job take it from me but if you have or can get a welder then you can do it the wiring and placement mounts are fun but hard
and the fuel lines need to be bigger as well.
if you want it bad enough you can do it.

well kids i've found a b20 bottom end and a b16 cable tranny so i now need to start getting the mounts ready and everything. I will post up some pics of the car and motor.

it will not work 84-87 ew will work 88-91 ef 92-95 eg and 95-00 ek

your civic has no parts avaibable from hasport or innovation co
the car has a small frame good luck on welding new mounts its like swapping a k20 expensive and a team effort. there is not a tech write up that i know up and manual try researching and lots or it;)

it won't work? thats funny. then how did the other people get it to work? I have pics of a build up and i have numbers of emails from people that are willing to walk me through the build so where are you getting your info from?
I can even show you a pic of a b series in a 2nd gen civic if you want? its basically the same build since the bXX blocks are all the same. maybe you would care to explain why you said it wouldn't work and btw my family owns a mechanics shop and the kid im getting the parts from has already done a couple swaps of his own and his shop is just across the street from mine. just fyi.

thanks man i think someone else linked that thread up at the top of the page though. nice little ride. makes me so anxious to see what the b20 bottom end will give it. i have a feeling this is going to be a nice little build. I can't wait!! I will get some pics of my car up sometime soon hopefully i can get some pics of the block and tranny too.

it will not work 84-87 ew will work 88-91 ef 92-95 eg and 95-00 ek

:no:

well i researched for you on hondaswap geez research on your before posting a thread if i need help omg:huh:
here a b16 cvcc

So nice of you to tell him it doesn't work at all before... looks like you needed to do some of the research first before spewing misinformation. Calm down and be sure before you post!

-----

To the original poster, yes it can be done- but it's going to be all custom. Good luck! I'd love to build one of those.

Great 1983 Civic info, thanks...

I also have a 1983 civic (sedan). Just got it about a month ago for 600 bucks and it is in great shape, and runs great as is, but at some point I sure would like to add a few more horsepower.

I traded a truck to a friend who does custom hotrods, mostly american muscle, but works on all makes, and he is going to paint the civic for me in trade.

An engine swap would be down the road a ways (when the cash somehow starts rolling in) but I want to do plenty of research first anyway. I was having a hard time finding much info on second generation engine swaps. This thread is really helpful.

Back