1983 Porsche 944

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

EXtremeAccord

I'm planning on buying a '83 Porsche 944 Turbo this weekend... would anyone advise against? It's 1500... NO problems with it whatsoever, besides the leather cracking (who cares). Anyone? Hate Porsches?

:driver:

I'm almost positive they didnt make the turbo in 83 unless it was a so the guy is lying. I'd advise against it unless you have like 2k more to put into it. I owned one, loved the car but when something goes wrong don't expect it to be as easy and cheap to fix as your honda.

Don't get me wrong it could be worth every penny, and "I" would jump at another one, tubro or non-turbo. I don't like the old style dash but for 1500 I would buy it. If you do get it, you have to do the timing belt right away..if you dont and it breaks (common problem) you're fucked cause its gonna leave you wil at least 1k in damage. Timig belt change is not something you do yourself on these cars, but it's gonna cost 500 bills.

they didn't make a turbo 944 until 86

and def do not get it
it may not have problems now, but it will
trust me on this one, i had one
sure they are nice cars but they cost a billion $$ to fix, and you WILL HAVE TO FIX IT

and 500 for a timing belt job is pretty cheap, try over $1000, at least thats the prices around me...

save yourself a shit load of money and stay clear of the 944's

Yea around here I knew this mechanic who was doing it for like 600, he had a good reputation, i had mine done there. I love the car, and I will buy another one, you have to wait to find the right one and when you can afford to drive it.

944 :thumbsdown:
951 :thumbsup:

You can't fuck with the turbo, handling or acceleration or top speed. With a little modification that thing is a fucking monster. I still thought the non turbo was a decent daily or a decent autox car in an NA class.

Thanks a ton y'all. I guess I will lay off the purchase. Granted I'm going to be a car salesman at the local Mazda outlet... I don't feel like dishing out money for a car unless it's an upgrade.. not a repair. *korean* Gam-sam-nee-dah *korean*

def stay away from porsche

if you are going to work for mazda then maybe you can get a discount on a mazda or a good deal on a trade in, but def do not go for the porsche

and the 914's are the ugliest VW ever made, yea, thats right, i said VW
lol

recked, you've been smackin my balls forever, its on like donkey kong BEEEEEEOTCH

If you like the Porsche 944 T, check out the second gen Supras.

Same car. Don't believe me? Put them up on a lift. The supra is NA, yet gains displacement and cylinders, the suspension is an extra link (5 to the Porsches 4) and the driveshaft / trans is much larger in the Supra. PLus 2 more seats and better reliability.

I have nothing bad to say about Porsches, but if I was young and didn't know what I know now about fixing exotics (remember, I was a Ferrari mechanic this year) I would avoid it.

-> Steve

Also, the slightest electrical problem and you should run away.

Yeah, nix the Porsche purchase. The chick that was going to by my current for 3000 backed out today... *dirty whore*... So I guess I'm stuck with "Dahn" until my first few paychecks from Mazda selling.

*Dahn's the name of the 'Cord.*

p.s. If anyone knows of a cheap 91-96 5spd Vtec ANYTHING for sale... tell me.

Originally posted by reckedracing@Nov 4 2004, 01:58 PM
and the 914's are the ugliest VW ever made, yea, thats right, i said VW
lol
[post=411990]Quoted post[/post]​

Becuase this statement, it's on like Donkey Kong - BEeeeotch

on like donkee kong beeotch alright heh im fucktackularily bored

very bored here too

and why do you love the 914's?

they're like the down syndrome gay midget of porsche, the other cars don;t want to admit they are related to it

Im a complete fucking idiot... I like the 944's they are my fav. I dont know much about them... she I cant even keep the numbers straight... Muffaka's

944 83 - 85 was only available in NA
86 plus got a turbo

924 had 50/50 weight reatio
944 had 51/49 ratio

944's have the straight 4 front mounted engine, with a rear mounted tranny, independent in the rear from 83 on

i like the lines of the 944 but would never own one again...

Back