1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1985 Honda CRX Swap

Discussion in 'Civic and CRX - EW' started by brod92696, Aug 31, 2015.

1. brod92696

brod92696 New Member

Hi, I have a 1985 Honda CRX that I am wanting to swap motors. I purchased the car not to long ago and I fell in love with everything about it, except.... the lack of power. The motor is fuel injected [not carbureted] not sure if that means that the car is an SI or not.. that's one question I'm unsure of.

Ive been doing a lot of research and found that some people are swapping the motors out for [B16, and B18]
    although.. some say that a [B18] wont work in the car, do to not enough space. I also have found motor mounts for my year car that support the [B18] motor.. so I'm kind of confused?? some say it wont work.. some say that it does... so this brings me to my first question, what motor can I put in this car?

Second question: I'm looking to get as much power as I can. Therefore, I would like to turbo charge it.

Time and money is not an issue, and I'm willing to put the time and hard work towards this project. I'm just looking for advice and seeing if anyone has made this swap before and can maybe give me a heads up on where to start. Thanks

Jeef likes this.
  2. brod92696

brod92696 New Member

[​IMG] :thumbup: Here is some pics of the car

3. brod92696

brod92696 New Member

4. brod92696

brod92696 New Member

5. TurboMirage

TurboMirage YEEAAAHHH VIP

holy crap that is a nice chassis!

does it have a power sunroof? then it is an SI. otherwise it is an HF.

dualcam motors do fit... these can potentially come with a ZC (DOHC D series) .

6. jlicrx

jlicrx Senior Member

it is the Si model - you can swap a B16 or B18 into it - not an easy job - lots of wiring changes needed - in addition to a mount kit, you will need to swap out the front knuckles/hubs for ones from 86-89 Integra - you will need custom axles - the picture below is a turbocharged B-series in the 1g CRX - not a lot of room in front of the engine for everything that needs to go there

Attached Files:

7. Briansol

Briansol Admins Admin VIP

Clayton had to notch the frame rail to fit the pulley on his b20b (essentially a b18a in dimensions). Not sure what mounts he was using.

We're a pretty good site for info, but for this gen, the place you want to be is redpepperracing.com they are the 1st gen experts

8. brod92696

brod92696 New Member

Yes it does have a power sunroof! And thanks man I try to keep it looking nice the inside looks brand new as well!

9. brod92696

brod92696 New Member

Ya I thought it might be a tight squeeze lol! I'm just glad to hear that it's been done and someone is finally giving me advice. Thanks a bunch man!

10. brod92696

brod92696 New Member

Ya I tried that site and it wouldn't let me create an account... But hondaswap.com has been a bigger help than any site I've been to yet! I appreciate the info yal are giving me! I just got some new wheels for the car as well and I'll post some updated pics for yal to see

11. brod92696

brod92696 New Member

Oh and as far as the wirring goes.. Do they make harnesses that I can buy for the b series swap? And I'm guessing I'm gonna have to change the whole computer system out correct? But as far as running all the electrical.. Will it be just a matter of plugging everything in the designated area?? Or will I have to do some fabricating?

12. jlicrx

jlicrx Senior Member

Last edited: Sep 1, 2015
  13. Jeef

Jeef NO MA'AM Moderator VIP

That is a clean and nice car.

14. Xanatos

Xanatos Village Idiot VIP

That's a beautiful chassis. Can't wait to see what you do with it.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted