1986 honda accord problem(s)

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

backlash

I am currently driving a 1986 honda accord 2bl carburated with nearly 300k on the odometer. The car has had its problems like going through fuel pumps yearly but a few weeks ago after a 100 mile round trip I noticed the car did not feel like it was doing what it was supposed to do. And soon after it began having a major problem.

The car surges or bolts when the accelerator is pushed or more recently if the pedal is pushed the RPMs will just start to drop. Releasing the pedal lets it idle fine. Car starts fine, idles good. If i pump the gas it will surge up to speed, and when I get to about 4grand on the RPMs it will haul ass with no problems at all no surging etc, but then when i shift it will bog down and the RPMs will drop, unless i pump the gas, and then get it back to about 4 grand. It seems like when i am turning whether left but especially right, the problem improves for a short time until i shift. After driving it this way at high way speeds and teh car is a full operating temp (not going into fifth on the 5speed because it will bog down too much without excessive pumping) sometimes it will improve and i can drive it normally but if i push the pedal just to much and shift it without slowly letting the clutch out it will start the problem again.

I have changed both fuel filters. Recently I have been playing with the choke, it seems like the choke heater coil works fine (but only opens the choke), i removed it and its clean, the linkage as far as i could see is free to move, i lubricated it and cleaned it etc.

One thing i noticed and as mentioned in my chiltons manual it states that depressing the accelerator completely and slowly releasing it should set the choke plate (the butterfly on top) when below 82 degrees it should close completely, when above to about an 1/8", but the accelerator has absolutely no effect at all on the choke plate.

I am thinking it is the linkage but i cant see under the choke if it is connected on the bottom someplace else. (like to the throttle cable plate or whatever, or if there is a spring missing etc)

The vacumn opener seems to work good, no blockage in the ports, so does the fast idle unloader.
There is no vacumn leaks I see or hear.
The fuel pump was recently replaced but i wouldnt rule it out, but everything i see points to the choke because if i choke it by pushing my finger on the butterfly while giving it gas on the throttle cable it works like it is supposed to, no bogging down.

Is the vacumn choke opener connected to the choke? Becuase when it starts to bog down it trys to push down (as in trying to close the choke) but it seems like they are separate because there is no effect on the butterfly.

There is definetely a problem with the choke, but I havent checked into fuel volume, and that hose that connects to the exhaust and the air intake I removed seeing as it was not in the best shape anyway. (if i remember correctly this was after the fact or problem occurred, besides its the summer, so carburetor icing shouldnt be a problem) and I have no idea where the hell or what a thermovalve looks like.

I would greatly appreciate any and i mean any insight on this problem. I dont know much about carburators but after studying that chiltons manual I gained some knowledge on it, its complicated as hell!

had a 87 lx. Same problem . Also the POS wouldnt stay running when it was cold . I replaced the expensive carb and my problem went away. I am not saying this is your problem . But I did experience the no power until 4k rpms. I just went to honda and bought a new carb. 353 bux. Now I know thats expensive and the value of the car prob isnt worth it , whats really messed up . It got totalled a month later and was running its ass off. The best of the 350k miles . I miss my 87 !!!! lol

Well the main reason I bought a new one is . A guy I know and hang out with builds old school motors. Telling me that the carb just need cleaning . So I take it upon myself to clean the jets and what knots. No manual or nothing . Going in blind folded. Forgot what went where and said fuck it , I still have all the lil pieces . Gonna stay in lil pieces. lol

thanks, I read that would probably fix the problem elsewhere too, but didnt want to shell out that kinda cash for this. You wouldnt happen to know where I could find any carb diagrams would you? I was hoping to find some pictures of the choke.

Well I have them in the manual . Scanner isnt actiing right . So I will keep trying until I can get it to work right , Its not coming out clear enough, thanks to my daughter that likes to push all the buttons and now the pic is all blury .

Heres a website I used many many times, Nothing but 3rd gen accords. These guys know there shit and will help you out .

Carburetor Rebuild , Top Gasket Printout - 3geez

Thats a link to a how to rebuild the carb, Search that site or just become amember . Either way you willl get an answer there.

wow i really appreciate that, a site totally dedicated to my year model! it helps alot!

BTW, im thinking its not the choke, why would i need it to choke once at full operating temp?

Got to be not getting enough gas or something.

yeah that site is badasss !!! I used it many times for answers. You shouldnt need to choke at operating temps ?? Its only for warming up the car.

Have you found an answer over there.

not yet. i posted my story though. But there is alot of info and i learned about some stuff to check, like the venturis' for looseness. still i could probably figure out the problem going just by the info there. thats just how awesome it is.

update! i took the air cleaner assembly off here while i was at work heh heh i found out that both venturis were loose. the main one was especially. in fact after i got the choke loose enough i found out something shocking. the brass screw for the main venturi was completely missing! i took the screw out of the other and put it in the main one. i also looked at the float bowl window and the level was very low but i did not adjust it. i got it all back together, and test drove it around the parking lot.

it did not act up! but i'm keeping my fingers crossed. when i get off at six i'll know for sure if it's better on the drive home. and i did it on friday the 13th! woot! i wouldn't've known to check the venturis if you hadn't of referred me to that site so i thank you again. the carb still needs adjusting on doubt there but with 3geez i'll get that done easily. sorry for the split post, my cell only lets me use 512 characters max per message. but its still an awesome V3xx.

so far so good. carb needs some adjusting but that fixed the problem. thanks so much, i'll be back if i need more help.

Back