1987 celica GT

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Yup, obviously some generalisations. I know that Japan is leading the world in Transmissions now, and Germany closely following. Japan's 6 speed Skyline transmission is a profiled CVT, with user-managable "gear ratios" that simulate any gearing that you want. Since the CVT locks up at programmed points, they have been able to pour hundreds of hp through them.

Then Germany's (MB and the 4 circles) with their 7 speed transmissions, weigh-sensing shift points (Granted, like 15 years old) all while lessening the amount of clutchpacks through digitally metered valves.

Yet, for all the tricks and doo-dads, nothing works quite like a TH350 / TH400 / 700R4. And Ford's classic transmissions like the C4 / C5 with it's plastic planetaries, and the C6 overdrive unit are phenomenal.

Apparently the US can't make a manual trans. Whenever you get the upgraded motors, it seems that Manuals are right out. The Vette struggled with gears for over a decade before finally perfecting it. Other than that, the mid-powered Sticks are all Isuzu.

-> Steve

Audi's DMG or something like that is the best IMO

its in the new TT

and the Z4 has something like this (SMG??)

Originally posted by SolPWR@Jun 2 2004, 01:02 AM

for sure. Its the marval of AI. It has 2 clutches, and based upon your current driving style, and "predicts" what year that your going to want to hit next, making the next gear almost insantanious (sp).

Were talking about the same tranny right.?

Originally posted by Celerity@Jun 1 2004, 04:13 PM
TVIS is an air-valve that opens at lower RPMs.

Uhhhmmmm...no....

It opens at higher RPM's....

It's closed at lower RPM's to help Torque

Originally posted by asmallsol+Jun 2 2004, 12:12 AM-->
@Jun 2 2004, 01:02 AM

for sure. Its the marval of AI. It has 2 clutches, and based upon your current driving style, and "predicts" what year that your going to want to hit next, making the next gear almost insantanious (sp).

Were talking about the same tranny right.?

yup!!!

Originally posted by Celerity@Jun 1 2004, 11:17 PM
The Powerdyne SC is the biggest hunk of junk ! every claim they make is false. IT's noisy, hot as a damned turbo and rattles. It only comes on with a switch mounted under the pedal (Or anywhere, I suppose) but its' only an on / off thing.

Neigh on Powerdyne. I fell into that trap, pulled it out of the box and sent it back. After seeing it on other cars, I haven't heard one good thing about them.

Not to threadjack, you should just know that they not only blow, but suck.

->Steve

Its not a Powerdyne dude, Its an ATI Procharger.....

Originally posted by asmallsol@Jun 2 2004, 01:12 AM
.....based upon your current driving style, and "predicts" what year that your going to want to hit next.......

:eek:
time travel y0!?!?!?
:ph34r:

Back