1987 chrysler lebaron. Sleeper much?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Head light doors quit working today :glare:

but it kinda makes it look more agressive. I'll fix them whenever. It's not a priority. Kinda sad. Having headlight doors that actually worked set my lebaron apart

08-04-08_1830.jpg
[/quote]
good stuff, those headlight doors and rear windows always break on those cars. mopar used to sell rwd conversions for the drag daytonas. find a snow-covered parking lot. pull the ebrake up, turn steering wheel completely to one side, mash gas, perfect circle spin, like a top, too much fun.

Yeah i did that a couple times. It'd be better if i had a handbrake and not a foot brake, but it spun really good. I have my rwd ranger for doughnuts though. Front tires are great, and the rears have no tread. Spins like no other. I enjoy fwd snow sliding, but right now its about 78 degrees. Come december i'll have some fun. By then i'll have my car boosting up to 12 psi.

And you're right about the headlight doors. Those things always brake. I've seen one other lebaron with doors that work right. The rest are exactly where mine are now. And i used to have a 94 lebaron convertible (i like lebarons) the back windows were pretty messed up. I had one of them taped to the top with duct tape and it still worked its way down.

YouTube - Unsuspecting Drag Racer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDJ2e6LozKU

I met a sleeper one day in my crx. Chevy c10. Shaved body, fresh paint, lowered a tad, decent rims. Sounded like a mildy cammed, well muffled motor. Huge fucking tach on the dash. I looked, lauged, the guy saw me laughing, and we took off. I'm not sure if his front wheels actually left the pavement, but it was damn close. All I could see from there out were tail lights.

It looked like a clean resto with little mods here and there. I swear he had cabled headers, because when he took off it sounded like a pissed off dragon.

Last edited:
nice. I love a good sleeper. old c10s are one of my favorite trucks. Particularly the ones from 78-86.

And i love that fairmont wagon. We used to have a coupe. I'd love to get another one.

and i would love a turbo minivan too. Those are great sleepers.

love the way a lebaron corners on snow. instead of feeling the turn at either end of the car, you feel it more in the middle of the car. similar to how a fwd feels when you beef up the rear sway bar. must be the fwd w/ semi-irs (independent rear suspension).

Could be. The V6 ones were great in snow too. Made it up a relatively steep 1/4 mile hill in 5 inches of snow and sleet.

The Chrysler K-car and K derivitives are the best designed fwd cars. Why? The axles are EXACTLY the same size.

Yup, my daytona was good in the snow, however ive had the backend swing out randomly on me a number of times which almost put me in a river.

I'm working on intercooling it right now, and installing a better flowing intake from a later model intercooled chrysler. This is my engine as it stands now.

I found the pistons look newer, and the cylinder walls are nice and crosshatched.

Attachments

• 101_0858.JPG
    101_0858.JPG
    344.8 KB · Views: 734
My parents owned a 86 Chrysler LeBaron like 5 years ago that had a bad starter. My dad told me I could have the car if I fixed it. We ended up selling it for $700. I don't think that one was turbo but I was convinced I was going to swap a 318 into it. lol the dreams of a 14 year old.

It could be done though. I know of a daytona with a twin turbo 440. As cool as that would be, I think i'll just stick to my 2.2. right now my goal is 230 horsepower and a high 14 second 1/4 mile. Seems high for that much hp, but that motor's gotta push a 2800 pound car and my fat ass. Definitely one good thing about a honda. You need not sacrifice an interior and glass for a light car.

I am sure it could be done, however I will be doing my first motor swap in the next 2-3 weeks. So it would have been a stretch for me to do.. lol although crazy sweet

It would be. That big engine in that small car would be intense. But I kinda prefer a turbo 4 at the moment. I like the gas mileage. And it's only got 90,000 miles and was freshly rebuilt, so I plan to play with this. I'm not really up to the task of an engine swap. If i do, it'll be putting a 440 in an old satellite, or putting a 5.0 in my ranger. This car's too nice for me to destroy.

maybe. If I swap at all. 5.0 swap would relatively easy i think, as I imagine I could possibly use the motor mounts from an explorer, and possibly the wiring. But i don't see the need. My 3.0 gets great gas mileage, and it only has 87000 miles. I may just turbo it. Or hell I'll go crazy. Put in a built 460 out of a 69 F100 :D

but before that, I'd like to get some of the body work done. It's thrashed. Rust free, but thrashed.
itsbudda/Truck - Page 1 - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

You could also find an svt supercharger from the focus svt or whatever and get someone to make or make, depending on your fabrication skills, it work on your 3.0. I am sure it has been done before. My manager at work did the same thing with a stock supercharger from some toyota and put it on his little 4 cylinder toyota tacoma.

Oh im sure it can be done. I just need to fabricate an intake to support it, and get the right size belt. But i'm more of a fan of turbos. I'm more familiar with them.

Back