1987 Crx Si

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

htrcivic96sir

I just bought a 1987 CRX Si. I went into reference to check out the specs on the engine....no D15A3...it says my car should have an EW4. I've checked under the hood quite a few times and the original Honda name plate on the radiator suport says what engine it has also. I'm lost and confused so heres a list of questions I have:

What are the specs on my engine?
I've seen 3 CRXs same Gen. as mine with B16 swaps.... is this swap easy and are there mounts for this swap?
I'd rather go B18...has anyone done/seen this swap before?
Do you know of any after market suspension kit, springs, or ANY after market parts at all for this car?

Thanx for any help

There are a few parts out there for the 1st gen rex,springs only come with the front ones,as the back is a solid beam and adjust height with a nut underneath.The motor should be a EW4 or 3.Some of the JDM and EDM ones had the DOHC ZC,other than that I've only seen the EW's.If it is the SI it should be 91hp.

Here's alink about the 1st gen's.

On the Si, the plate is on the opposite, or passenger, side. It will be a D15A3 motor, which is the 1500cc Fuel Injected engine.
it actually said in the artical what it was... thanx boss.... ifeel like a fuggin nOOb cuz i didnt find it

ok now someone else answer the other questions

From a 1st gen CRX guru that I know, the 84 and 85 had the EW engines. The 86 and 87 had the D series 12 valve POS's. Both were rated at 91 or 92 HP.

It's aobut like the difference between the d16a1 in the 86-89 Integra and the ZC. Just a different code, and maybe different mount orientation (doubtful in the CRX's case).

Originally posted by SiR Kid@May 18 2003, 08:35 AM
From a 1st gen CRX guru that I know, the 84 and 85 had the EW engines. The 86 and 87 had the D series 12 valve POS's. Both were rated at 91 or 92 HP.

My 86 Si had an EW3 :( ,maybe the article is talking about the JDM,EDM,etc...models.

Try looking on www.crx.org there are a lot of first gen freaks over there. Unfortunately we lack a lot of people with 1st gen crx/3rd gen civic knowledge.

Originally posted by jeff@May 18 2003, 08:47 AM
Unfortunately we lack a lot of people with 1st gen crx/3rd gen civic knowledge.

But the site isn't devoid of them... :D

Love my 74hp carbureted EW1 baby!

B18A1/ B1 would be easier then B16 i guess because no VE-TECH ( spelled that on purpose) . Im probally gonna order the mount kit sometime in the near future, then slowly but surely the motor, axels, etc. etc. For Darkhand: Ill give you the old motor when it comes out as long as you promise to throw the carb'ed motor away.... :lol:

Any other info would be a big help

Back