1988 crx build

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

civic94cpe23

Well I just picked up a 88 CRX DX.. Its been beat hard and wrecked before. They replaced the core support and part of the strut tower but other then that the body is in good condition. Has a reconstructed title.

Anyway figured sense it was so cheap it was worth giving it a shot. The motor in it had a blown headgasket and ive replaced it and it runs fine. Right now I am in the process of removing the motor so I can redo the engine bay and expect it.

I'll be posting tons of pics as I go.

Ok I got a new shell. Its a 1988 CRX SI. I am gonna drop a d16z6 in it.

From my understanding this car came stock with a d16a6 with MPFI correct? Also I should need a ECU jumper harness and a OBD0 to OBD1 harness aswell?

The OBD1 ECU harness is the OBD0-1 conversion harness, and is needed if you want to run the stock P28/D16Z6 ECU. You just have to wire in VTEC wires though(and possibly O2 heater wires).

Yes, the SI is MPFI.

The OBD1 ECU harness is the OBD0-1 conversion harness, and is needed if you want to run the stock P28/D16Z6 ECU. You just have to wire in VTEC wires though(and possibly O2 heater wires).

Yes, the SI is MPFI.

The ecu harness I know I need that. But what about the engine harness wouldnt i need to change plugs on that aswell.

No, you'd use your old engine harness and just add whatever wires are needed.

I don't have a D16a6 harness. I got a z6 motor with harness and then I have a 1988 CRX DX with PGFI or what ever. could I use that harness?

heres a pic of the car. Not the best pic but its all I got right now.

1000972hi.jpg

Also the car has a LS3 transmission with it. How do you guys think it will do paired up with the z6?

Welll if I remember right. All d series from that era are l3s. There are three main versions. Si dx hf. I have an si currently with my z6 and its great

youre lookin for a p28 ecu? i got one. pm me if you want to buy it.

a d w/LSD factory? thats crazy.

You will need to locate a OBD0 MPFI engine harness for the swap. you can not use hte Z6 harness cuz the shock tower plugs are different.

i guess... you could rewire the Z6 harness to work, that is if you are comfortable doing so. its a pretty deep project doing it...

I think that the only way to get a d series trans with factory lsd was if it was originally with a zc. If that's the case I don't think the bolt patterns are the same?

The ZCs have the same bolt pattern as any other +88 D-series, it's the number of bolts on the final drive that's different.

Not sure what you want us to look at. "L3" doesn't mean anything because all 88-91, JDM and USDM alike, have (P)L3 serials. Also, just because it's JDM does not mean it'll have a LSD; best way to find out is see if there's a shaft going through the differential or not.

<-Owns a non-LSD JDM DOHC ZC transmission(verified gear ratios and differential hub). Of course, now it has a Mfactory LSD along with some other goodies. :)

BTW, on that page, the gear ratios listed are for the DOHC ZC transmission. The SOHC ZC(the common one) is pretty much the same as a Si transmission.

No I was just lookin. Because dude that gave me the tranny with the swap said some thin about JDM l3. I couldnt really understand him really. Anyway thanks for the info everyone.

Back