1988 HF w/D16Z6

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

autoxcrx

Hi Guys,

I'm a nubie here and I hope I'm not asking some of the same ole dumb questions, I've been doing some research, but,... well, here goes,... I've got an 88 CRX-HF that I want to swap a D16Z6 into. I've got an '88 CRX Si parts car thats donating the Tranny, front spindles/hubs, axles and front brakes. Many of the forum's I've been reading say to use the A6-Si distributor & intake. I have the intake, is it better than the Z6 ?, Or just easier to hook up ? And the Distributor, I've got one from an Si, but it looks like it won't fit the Z6 head right, needs some modifying to fit and I've heard many say to use only 2 bolts, instead of 3,.... can the Z6 Distributor be used ?? Seems a whole lot better since it bolts right up, I'll probably be using an MDS external coil. Is there a Distributer Jumper that will plug into the Si harness and into the Z6 distributer ? I'll be getting a OBD-0 to OBD-1 harness from rywire and be using a P28 ECU. I haven't talked to them yet, but I understand that their harness will have a couple of wires on it that hook up the v-tech, is that all that's needed to make the v-tech work like it's supposed to, (no toggle switches please, they might be alright for you straight line guys, but try hitting a toggle switch while your aotocrossing !!) It's going to be a street & autocross car, so I'm stayin' with the D-series engine since it's lighter (and cheaper) than the B-series. A good header, maybe a cam, that's all I'll need, along with the adjustable shocks, springs, and big sway bars I already have on the 90 HF. I know I could probably make more power with a B-series, but after 3 years of using a stock HF as a daily driver and autocross car, the Z6 will seem like a rocket !! After reading a whole bunch of forums, I picked this one to ask my queestions on because it looks like you guys know what your talking about and give great answers to questions. I'll probably have a few more questions before I'm through, hope to have it finished in a couple of months.
Thanks !!

I have actually thought of doing something like that, but just too get a little more power from the HF and keep the gas milage. The HF already has more compression than the DX or the Si, a little over 9:1, but the pistons only have 2 valve reliefs instead of the 4 that 16v engines have, and if you put a 16v head on a HF bottom end, you will probably get some bent valves, and it's not gonna be worth it to take it apart to cut valve reliefs in the pistons. Not to mention the small rods & rod journals in the HF, plus it has a little over 200000 on it, and it's REAL TIRED, it was my wifes car before I met her, got the oil changed about once a year wheather it needed it or not !! I was thinking of using the 16v D15 out of a 90 DX hatch parts car, with the 16v head, an Si intake and ECM. The Si & HF Distributors are the same I believe, Might even try it with the HF intake & ECM, and keep the HF trans,... pretty much a 16v HF,.....
Then again, for an everyday driver, might just freshen up the HF and leave it all stock. I like the 50MPG.

Back