1988 Integra, Shifting issues (advice)

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

my boyfriend let me use his car for the next two months while he's out of town, and after driving it only two weeks i ran into major problems.

A few days ago while driving home, the car's clutch seemed to slip a bit or would not register and grind even though my foot was all the way down.
Finally, about 5 mins from home, it would no longer shift into gear and i had to coast over to the side of the road.

While the car was ON, it would not shift into gear. When the car was OFF though, it could be put in any gear. When trying to put the car into first while off, then starting the car, it was like trying to start the car in first without pushing down on the clutch and it would lurch forward. I luckily called a friend who told me to try starting it in second gear instead, and i was able to creep home all the way in second.

My friend mentioned he thought it might be the clutch cable needing adjustment?? Does it sound like i need a whole new clutch or adjustments of this cable? Or could it be the master cylinder? Im not sure how to test or know if its any of those, but every mechanic always tries to take advantage of me cause im a girl :(

Any help :p

ps. dunno if this helps but the pressure of the clutch pedal feels about the same, couldnt feel any difference.

Last edited:
Same Thing Happened In My Buddys Camaro.

Clutch Was Torn To Shit. Take The Tranny Off And Take A Look At The Clutch.

^^ retard.

It is a hydrolic clutch, meaning no clutch cable. Check the clutch master cylinder fluid level (looks like the brake resivoir but smaller, upper right corner of the engine bay when looking at it from the front bumper. If that is low on fluid, you'll need to top it off and bleed the system, just like brakes. Look inside the car (driver's side, of course) where the clutch pedal attatches to the outside of the car, see if there is fluid running down the inside, onto the carpet. Also, check on the front of the transmission and see if there is fluid running down from it. There is a black rubber boot on the front, squeeze it hard, and see if fluid runs out of it.

Let us know what you find.

hydro tranny on a first gen teg?? i would have thought it was a cable trans since the 2nd gen integra is cable....

yes 86-89 integras hace a cable accuated clutch. hacve your friend look at the tans where the cable attaches, see if it is moving the lever. if not the cable is broke. if it is. the clutch is damaged. . lesson here keep your foot off the left pedal while driving.

Back