1988 Integra Swap PLEASE HELP

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Darkstar

I am a small town Honda Mechanic, I have a customer with a 1988 Integra, D16A1, He is wanting a swap to a higher HP engine, Does anyone know my options? hes wanting something in the 150-170 HP range original is like 113 HP i believe. Whats the Easiest swap, and whats available to swap with the D16A1? Even if its not "EASY" what other engine/trans swaps are Useable in this application

black valve cover D16A1 from a 88-89 integra is 118 horsepower...
the brown valve covers in the 86-87 had 113

as far as swapping, you could look for a ZC or D16A8, or D16A9, these are euro or JDM motors and will net about 140 horse...

if he wants 150-170 then you;re talking money, BIG MONEY

an LS swap from a 90 integra will net you 140, but you need lots of modification, for more info on ANY b series swap into an 88 integra check hasport.com, they sell the mount kits and have good instructions for the install

cheapest biggest horse = h22 swap approx 2000-2200 for an h22 swap, then mounts, shift linkage to shifter cables, cable to hydro clutch conversion, OBD0 to OBD1 wiring conversion.. etc etc etc
plus axle modification, and i;m not sure if they make a kit for an H series into an 88 teg...

if you are good at fabrication you could make a ton of money setting him up with a custom turbo kit...
you can use the HF manifold with any turbo, junkyard intercooler, etc etc etc, and he should be able to get to the 150-170 range... higher with proper tuning...

or you can look for a set of cams to get him to maybe 130-140 if you open up the intake and get a header for it... a port and polish will also add some horses...

you're talking a lot of money for just about every motor swap except for the ZC or D16A8/9 but these motors are kinda rare and be ware of getting ripped in the ass if you don't know your honda blocks...

you can also take his motor and swap in the internals from the above mention D series motors to get him some more horses

i think the cheapest choice other than the D series would be a B16, nets 160 horse, fairly cheap motor, still need mount kit, can get a B series cable trans... but the B16 has low torque and i think the early integras are a semi heavy chassis... but if he has the money and oyu have the time go for the B16, it will put a smile on his face and get your paid...

i say boost it, you will get more power for less money than a swap, you are looking $2500 probably more to swap anything worthwhile into that car. you could boost it with a nice setup fro $1500 maybe less.

Originally posted by racintweek@Feb 16 2005, 01:42 PM
i say boost it, you will get more power for less money than a swap, you are looking $2500 probably more to swap anything worthwhile into that car. you could boost it with a nice setup fro $1500 maybe less.
[post=461723]Quoted post[/post]​

boost on an 88 integra?? how long do you think that will last with 3000000000 miles on it..... he'll love your work, for a week

boost on an 88 integra?? how long do you think that will last with 3000000000 miles on it..... he'll love your work, for a week

these are pretty damn strong motors...
i'd be more worried about the trans holding up to the HP...
thats if its not detonating on itself... if it is... then the motors done

[

these are pretty damn strong motors...
i'd be more worried about the trans holding up to the HP...
thats if its not detonating on itself... if it is... then the motors done
[post=461891]Quoted post[/post]​
[/quote]

id agree with ya, their strong, but really, these have wear and tear on them, thats fine, hondas never wear badly inside, but still, you are throwing cylinder temperatures and pressures that these motors have never seen. i mean there really is no garuntee what will happen but it would still suck really bad if he turbod it and it did blow up. = one unhappy customer

just do a stock rebuild w/ arp hardware and you could push ~200hp reliably, use real EM and you ill have no prolems

hey i have a 89 integra and im looking to do a engine swap from the d18c to maybe a a18c but i dont know all the conversion or the estimates plus im kinda new to the tuner field and i need help so can you guys help me

I think maybe he is trying to say the B18c? As far as I know the largest displacement factory d series motor is the d17. And there is such a motor as the A18A, I had one in my old '85 prelude. Not a motor you would ever want to swap into anything.

Stock motor in an 86-89 teg is D16A1
86-87 were vac advance ignition and more is involved with wiring in an electronic advance engine swap
88-89 already have electronic advance ignition.

Your best source of info and help on these swaps is g1teg.org

I personally have an 87 teg with a turbocharged B18C5, daily driven with that setup now for well over 4 years.

Back