1989 Civic DX b16a

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

psi

I have a DX manual Civic with a b16a swap in it. Its a minor problem but I am annoyed by it.

I would like some opinions on if I should get my oil pan rethreaded or just replace it with a aftermarket oil pan. Right now it is dripping oil (slowly) because of repeated oil changes has stripped the drain plug. Now I am just asking for opinions on if I should just have the oil pan rethreaded or just get a new aftermarket one.

If I decide to get a aftermarket oil pan, could you all direct me to a website that I can purchase it from.

Now I am also thinking of upgrading my rear drums to disc brakes. Any suggestions on how I should go about doing this? Which hondas should I salvage from do do this swap. Is there a premade kit that I can just bolt on for this modification? I remember a neighbor of mine did it in Virginia. He salvaged from different hondas to make it work. I have lost touch with him since I moved to O'ahu.

Thanks

Last edited:
If you want just a cheap replacement try ebay, like $50-100

eBay Motors: Oil Pan acura honda integra civic GSR B16 B18c1 B18c5 (item 320038619449 end time Oct-22-06 14:55:31 PDT)

But if you want aftermarket go with moroso $300+

Moroso Street/Strip Oil Pans - summitracing.com

mor-20901.jpg

Last edited:
is the threads in the oil pan stripped? or is the seal on the drain plug no good, if the seal is toast, replace the seal from honda, if you stripped the threads, you might be able to re tap the threads.

If your going to get a new pan,just buy a oem one.Really no reason to go all out on an aftermarket one unless you have a serious motor.

just buy one of those larger washers (i think they are white) you can find a shucks or napa. quick and easy fix.

Yeah if your oil plug threads are stripped, just buy a OEM one. Better yet, just buy it from someone on this website. I sold one for like $20 shipped, they aren't exspensive at all.

As for brakes, you can salvage the rear disc set up from any 90-93 Integra (try to get non-abs) or any 90-91 CRX Si. Since you said you have a civic i'm assuming 4 door, so you will need the e-brake cables from a 90-93 Integra 2 door, the 4 door ones are slightly too long and the ones from a 90-91 CRX Si are a little too short. I'd also suggest upgrading to a 40/40 proportioning valve from a 90-93 non abs integra and a 15/16 Master Cylinder from a 91 Civic EX. Using the 91 Civic EX Master Cylinder will bolt directly to your brake booster so you won't have to shell out money for another booster.

I actually just had this problem.
Cost me $20 and I got an oil change out of it.
Ask a good mechanic to tap the hole for a larger plug... and then install a larger plug. LOL
Easy huh? f-changing the pan.

Back