1989 CRX Si - Budget Performance??

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Red89CRXSi

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum, and almost new to Honda's. I had a 1992 Si Prelude earlier this year (for which I will always have a special place in my heart lol) but my girlfriend totaled it. I've been searching for another one for the past 6 months, but haven't found exactly what I was looking for. Anyway, I came across a 1989 CRX Si on Thursday...5 speed, 91K original miles, sunroof, catback exhaust system, IceMan intake, and an unpainted urethane body kit. bought it for $1500, in need of some rust repair and window rubbers.

Anyway, when I had the lude I was researching a the 2.2 vtec swap, and 2.2/2.3 vtec hybrid, but know nothing about any other honda platforms. I've found that my CRX has a D16A6 and 108 HP. I was just wondering what my options are for the present time...I just want to bolt on a couple of things for now...or maybe swap an engine from another vehicle...or a head from another engine...or something. Basically, if i can BOLT a rebuilt stock engine from another car and drive it the next day, I'm all for it. I don't want to get into buying axles/mounts and spend a week wiring it *at this time*. Just want a quick power-booster for under, say, $1000.

I'm not sure which would be best? I saw a low-mile ported/polished D16A6 Si head with a ZC cam and Venom fuel rail with adjustable regulator advertised for $175 in a local trade paper. Would this be a good investment? Or should I swap in a different engine?? or?? There's a Honda salvage yard / used car dealership near me with a lot of 80-90 hondas in it...the owner passed away about 5 years ago and his daughter has been selling what's left (there's a LOT). They haven't been to the auction since he died but not too many people know of this place since it hasn't been in business for so long...anyway...I can get pretty much any engine from this place for a great price. Ok...think I'm rambling too much.

I know this is probably a fairly common question, but could somebody please give me some advice or suggestions?? I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks ahead of time.

Paul

Here is my two cents: Mini-Me This takes the head of a d16z6 or d16y8 engine and puts it on yours. You can use all your same wiring so no headaches there. You will have to cut a leg off your dizzy, but it will be fine. Besides the head you just need a vtec ecu pr3 or pw0 I believe (double check the ecu codes basically a 88-91 ecu from a 5spd vtec car) This swap can be done under 500 and if you wanted you could put some work into the head with the $$$ left over.

I would swap in a JDM DOHC ZC Longblock and then boost it later. They make about 140hp and 120ft*lbs torque. It is also a great candidate for boost since it is dohc and has tunability for intake and exhuast seperately.

Check out hmotorsonline.com they have good stuff, I got my b16 (your other option, but running about $3000) from hmotors and its a great engine.

On the b16 side, the swap is really easy. Me and a friend did the swap in my garage (we were both 18) and neither of us had much previous car experince.

*edit - btw the zc is direct drop in you don't need anything besides the motor (and maybe an ECU, im not sure). But I do know you don't need to rewire anything and you also don't have to swap mounts.

Thanks for the quick replies!

Project - sorry if I sound dumb, but what do you mean by "cut a leg off my dizzy"?? I checked in the reference section of this site...under the Engine List thread, it says the D16Z6 came in 92-95 Civic EX/Si/Del Sol Si, and the D16Y8 Came in the 96-00 Civic EX. (what about the DOHC head from a D16A8/9? from the 88-89 integra? Says 137 HP stock on that particular car, but?? just a thought, I haven't a clue what will work on this block) It says the PR3 ECU comes in the 89-91 Integra XSi/RSi...the PW0 from 89-91 Civic/CRX SiR or Auto 90-91 Integra XSi.

What is a Civic/CRX SiR? Is the "R" because it's a Vtec? Or?

hcivic.com - Thanks for your reply too...I don't really know if I want to get into a turbo setup at this time...I do have plans to turbo the car later on, but I would like to buy a b series and modify the internals I think...then put a turbo setup on it...maybe. Unless I can find a nice D-series setup on ebay for cheap. I'll definitely keep this in mind though.

I've owned a lot of cars...2 95 talons - 420A, 1 94 talon 4G63, a 95 Camaro Z28 LT1 (still have this one), 92 lude Si H23A1, (and a lot of others...non performance-oriented. Had a 93 Diamante LS with 3.0DOHC, same as 3000GT, and currently have a 93 Eagle Vision with 3.5 214 HP V6). Too many DSM's IMO, but, when I got each one, I researched everything I could possibly do to each to make it go faster, and I learned a lot on the way. The Prelude was my baby...I had big plans for it, but it seemed that the mods for the "H" series engines were VERY expensive...maybe worth it but VERY expensive. I've still got the H23A1 out of the car...pulled the engine before I junked it. I was kinda thinking of rebuilding it and dropping it in the CRX, but lol obviously too much work. Prolly eventually build a frankenstein motor and find a lude with a blown SOHC F22..

Anyway, this CRX will hopefully open some doors into the Honda performance world. I'll be doing tons of research over the next couple of weeks...just like to do this kinda stuff. Anyway, it takes people who know what they're talking about to pass on knowledge to less knowledgable people...I guess that's what forums are all about but. I'm 9 pages into the tech forum...already read the tech articles that interested me. Guess it's just time to dig lol Thanks again for your replies and if anybody else has any more info, suggestions, etc. I'd appreciate it.

Paul

ktanaka - where could I find the DOHC ZC engine and how much?? I don't really have a lot of cash up front... but?? If it's a cost effective swap, I'm all for it ;)

Thanks CRVTEC, I checked them out...damn good deals on both!! I found the DC on ebay for $843 to my door but either way, I think I might hold off and just wait til I have enough for the B16 swap and LSD lol If I buy the B16 from H-Motors, I could prolly get away with a 2K or less swap...then turbo later. I imagine I would be quite satisfied with 170 HP for now though lol I think I MIGHT go ahead buy the ported/polished D16A6 head and fuel rail for now...maybe offer the guy $150 for them just for a little extra pep. I plan to put the CRX in the garage, remove the glass and strip the whole thing to bare metal...fix the rust around the windshield, sunroof and quarter panels...and I'll probably pull the engine then...cuz I want to change the color of the car...so I'll probably order the B16 before I even start on the body. Maybe lol I'll figure it out within the next week or so...but thanks for the links...I have the site bookmarked.

Dude, read my thread again, my swap cost $3000 in the end. You need lots of stuff, but I can tell you, it was all worth it :D. My CRX is the best car i've ever driven!

Paul- welcome to the site!

It's good to see that you take a similar approach as me when joining up at a new forum... I always read every thread posted on the site before starting to ask questions.

I would recommend either bolting on a SOHC VTEC head (Z6 or Y8) or swapping to a DOHC ZC engine. The DOHC ZC head (and D16A8/A9) won't bolt onto the SOHC D series engine. In my opinion, going with a SOHC VTEC head swap is the best route to take with the D series engine if you're not going turbo. You get about the same amount of power as a DOHC ZC, and you get a much larger aftermarket to shop from too.

The ecu that I mentioned are obd0; they will plug right in to your car, and allow you to run a vtec head on your block. :thumbsup: On getting some info on your own. Stay away, not today disco lady (aka dohc motor from 1st gen teg is a very bad idea) It is unique which makes the part market expensive and harder to come by. If you swap heads lets say you use your block with a 16y8 you have to change the dizzy, injectors, and ecu. The distributor you have on your car will not fit unless you cut one of the legs off, or you can buy an obd0 VTEC dizzy.

The real question become do you want to stay natural induction or do you want to add a turbo, no add two turbos and have them installed by tonight :D

If you are NOT going turbo then I would follow thru on what Blanco said. That is a great route to build a quick car with future d-series power on your budget.

My suggestion:

- Obd1 conversion
- d16y8 complete head swap (the d16y8 manifold is great)
- p28 ecu
- But hold off on the high compression pistons and aftermarket cam shaft

After that is accomplished drive it and see how you like it. If it needs a little more go power add the cam shaft and pistons. If you want a lot more go power go turbo

rebuild...

I just got a 92 civic 4 door and it has a d16z6 with a turbo t3 t4,was awesome i like it!!!!!!! well, i through a rod bearing the same day i got it....there was no oil?!!!!!!!!!! so i am rebuilding it (first total rebuild).
but anyways, the turbo d16z6 is fun and good, just make sure the oil line to the oil pan from the turbo doesn,t leak. :thumbsup:

Back