1989 Honda Civic Hatchback

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

spidre

I just got a 1989 Honda Civic Hatchback. 4speed manual. D15B1 engine.

Anyways, it was driving fine for a day or so... but then today for some reason when i'm braking, like coming to a red light or something, it starts stalling out... i try pressing the gas to keep it from stalling, it doesnt want to give it gas and putters, then after a few seconds it will allow me to rev the engine. Sometimes it will completely stall or sometimes it will putter. I just changed the oil today and flushed the radiator but I dont think that has much to do with it. CV Joints are gone as well... is it a pain in the butt to replace them? Thanks!

its a lot less of a pain in the ass to get new axles than trying to repack your CV boots, trust me on this. it sounds like maybe a bad O2 sensor, or you have a fuel injector going out. i had the same problem with my old D15 this past winter. it would spit and sputter then die when it was cold, or it just wouldnt start at all. turned out to be a bad injector.

Hey there, I just checked the distributor and yes the rotor was loose... I tightened it and replaced the cap.

That did not help any, apparently. It still does it... although I notice more now that its like on a downhill. On a level surface it seems to work just fine, but when I was coming out of my driveway and the car was on a decline it was sputtering, barely staying alive, I kept trying to give it gas with very minimal success until it finally died. Once I pushed it to a level surface it had no trouble...

hmmmm.....change your fuel filter, try that first oh and banjo bolts are a bitch. just get a pair of plyers and get some leaverage on it and twist.

ive had that problem and it was my timing
i dont remember if my timing was off or the distributer was retarded to much..
either way it was one of those..

Well guys... looks like I just made an ass out of myself, all on my own! My damn gas tank was showing half a tank. Apparently, there was no gas left, I filled it up... works like a charm. Thats why it was dying only when braking or on a decline at first. Thanks much for everyone's help, I appreciate it. :)

Back