1989 Honda Civic SI n00b Questions. full build ideas

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Rudhart89HB

HatchBacker
So i have a 1989 Honda Civic HatchBack Si body, and whats under the hood is a disgrace. i bought the car and will post pics as soon as i can ( or am aloud to) for 1500. it was primered and half-asses put together. all the body piece ( lights body kits Lplate) were inside the car. it has magna-flow exhaust, and a D15B16 4Spd FWD POS motor. the original motor is gone. it has a rag-top sunroof and a cloth glued on top. the interior is relatively in good shape, has acura integra seats ( not sure about specifics but are fully adjustable in any aspect) needs new carpet. the body is in great shape and almost little to no rust ( that i have found) im new to tuners and im looking to make this an acceleration curve car. like i said im new to this and im not sure where to start but i would assume motor since its garbage. what is the best possible choice as far as bang for buck? any ideas comments, criticism, suggestions, or personal preferences are more than welcome..

its a D15B7 my mistake or its the D15B6. did i meantion the originall was blown and thrown? i have in my budget about 1000 to spend currently, however id like not to spend all of it. id like a Y8 or something with vtec dohc already on it.

im looking for a used motor. i have access to a full garage, so i can tear down and rebuild no prob. im new to tuners not wrenches...

294015_2283854177594_1286066110_4478632_2304958_n.jpg

A Y8 would be easily doable on that budget, but a Y8 is not dual-cam VTEC. A full DOHC VTEC swap might be difficult for under a grand...

B18A1, pretty easy swap into the Si chassis. You could do it for under a grand if you shop around. That was my first swap and it was a pretty quick little car, and you can always add a VTEC head later.

B18A1, pretty easy swap into the Si chassis. You could do it for under a grand if you shop around. That was my first swap and it was a pretty quick little car, and you can always add a VTEC head later.

:werd:

sorry for the delay, yes my top is wrapped in cloth, i will slap the guy if i ever meet him. does the body kit look tacky or "ricer" i jus dont like the stock sleeper look. some lil kids were tellin me its childish and looks tacky as hell. however the kit has been on the car for approx. 7 years. so under it will look like shit and prolly be rusted... any ideas. as far as the y8 goes, would a B18A1 be a safer, easier, and cheaper swap?? with more options for power?

get a b18a1 b series, cable tranny and throw that bitch in easy swap

The B18 would be a better base to work with and would have more potential and after-market options, yes...

Back