1989 Prelude Loss Of Engine Power!!!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

jfrench428

Hello, I'm new to HondaSwap so you may have to bear with me. I have an 89 Prelude that runs great but at different times and different speeds I experience major engine power loss. It's like it bogs down, and then eventually regains full power. The ECU is NOT pulling any codes, timing is set right, everythings seems to be in order. I'm pretty sure it's electrical as it only happens intermittently. Thank you for your help!

please explain in more detail. at what rpms does it bogg? does it happen in every gear? what are you hearing or feeling when this happens? have you recently done any kind of head work involving taking of the head? more details may help in diagnosing the problem.

Well, it seems to happen in all the gears, and mostly before 4000 rpm. There was no head work done to it. I have been living with this problem for some time now. I don't know if it's related, but last year I had and still have a problem with my ECU not supplying the proper "switched ground" for my main relay to activate my fuel pump. I since ran the "switched ground" to ground and have been running the car like that. What would make the ECU not engage the switched ground? Do you think it could be related?

Oh, and the noise sounds like someone choked the engine. It just looses all responce. Could it be reversed O2 sensors?

not sure about the fuel pump issue because if the pump doesn't get a signal then usually the motor would cut off.did it do this b4 you grounded the switch? does it do this just sometimes or does it seem to do it constantly at certain intervals? if it does you may have a vacuum prob or leak.

one more thing. is the ground on your distributor connected? is your intake pipe really close to your distributor?

I found what I was doing wrong. I actually had my valves adjusted wrong! I was adjusting them and found out I had my #1 cylinder mixed up with my #4 cylinder! What an idiot! Thanks for all your help! The only problem I have now is my Main Relay, which I'll open up another thread for that. :D

hey there

My civic with a 97 b16a del sol engine, need help i was driving home and the car ack fired 2 times and bogged down , know every time u give it gas it boges down and can't get it past 2000 rpm , it has spark and gas, , when u leave it over night it was start up , and e somewhat ok for mins then it boges down again...

Back