1989 RamCharger

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

awptickes

unimpressed by you
VIP
KLaV97Wc0z3TCb8o88BPB4A19nVQ05WAy3lmZWt-ljA=w780-h585-no

Better photo tomorrow.

you gave no context to this post at all.

"truck"

yeah, what about it"? lol

GcyZKAaAxJc_5fsKEub2IU8nXAQYaOqT-SeqVdsKrgc=w1327-h995-no

KwA_2DSPsSPihidedDch-IXGcvy-SP7sNM0SoKLbC5U=w1327-h995-no

tHUF-tWz-W9XIapEu39cMPqzZvy66DunZ-_Cnd9XQjs=w1327-h995-no

K6YLdt0vFkE5_ilc3VEn9_jhOFrLHcOngEMuwatpwFg=w1327-h995-no

dZL2uVX_WoMM4CK91jEOdckuIA3LUYA-eSs_7fd7EUk=w1327-h995-no

The water jug, hat, and stuff in the back are mine, but this is exactly how it came to me. $640, plus $190 in registration. Insurance is a laughable $-3/mo saving me about $40/yr.

Needs an alignment? Not a bad beater. I like your back speakers.

Pretty cool. It needs bigger tires though, and you've got to get rid of those steps pronto.

On a side note, one of my friends had one in high school; I accidentally cracked his windshield with the passenger seat...

The tires are 265/75/15. So not horribly small right now. They've got a fingertip or so of tread, I'll measure this weekend with something useful.

The trans leak is going to be fun... I ordered a new dipstick so I can actually figure out how much is in it. The current dipstick isn't the right length, and it doesn't touch the atf at all. Last night I went over the underside with some engine cleaner, hopefully the dirt and grime comes off easily.

Running boards are off. Got to use my angle grinder on a vehicle for the first time.
Parking brake cable is seized. New one will be here Tuesday, then I can actually fix the trans.
Trans is leaking from the input shaft area. Yay fun. Going to try to replace the input shaft seal next weekend.
Coolant was reallyfuckinglow, like 1/2 a gallon. Looks like it might be weeping from the freeze plugs. I'm halfway considering just ignoring it.
Wiring is really fucked up, that's going to take at least a couple weekends to fix.
Rust is really only a concern in one place.

Right here:
waEuWpiEh-RIBHoOWubFW15Eg1thR17NCKN2Ppw94S8=w722-h541-no

9jG-qho-1RWrSP9bylWPSzdockgnUcQLqXnHCaN-JL4=w722-h541-no

The other side was already fixed, and it doesn't seem to be a bad job.

YFpuvti3KtjZV04tlWCcQ6MF-iz0lgUzkxzPNrF88-M=w722-h541-no

I replaced the dipstick and tube. No wonder it wasn't showing anything, it was easily 1" too short. The stick was recessed in the tube about 1/2". When I pulled the tube, about 5qt of ATF came pouring out onto the driveway. Much fun was had. It's still about 1qt high, but with the leak, it might not be for much longer.

I put in some of that transmission seal rejuvinator stuff. The leak didn't change, even after driving a couple hot cycles.

Doing the transmission front seal and pump bushing this Saturday (and possibly sunday) and that should take care of the leak.

Going to get the exhaust replaced, as there's only so much exhaust putty in the world, and I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to cut at least one thing when removing the trans. The exhaust isn't leaking anymore though.

Current yummy state of the exhaust:
1QUQbOVd2wcw_R2Fb0HPgtvnq16-C5Sq5aWGvmX4BzE=w1052-h789-no

9DH1n2tJu28SwxIr5Y2MhPBB6A-Z7iztH0ATT4qKqMw=w1052-h789-no

Interestingly enough, it's pretty quiet for not having a muffler.

Got door and window seals ordered, so it'll be quieter and drier when driving.

Tires have about 5/32 of tread on them. Not real keen on replacing them because of cost, but they need to be balanced at the minimum. The rubber is getting old, and they probably won't last through the whole winter because of that. I'm considering some recapped 31/10.5/15 tires, they've got pretty good ratings and people on forums tend to like them.

Brakes are in good shape. They were actually bled recently, the fluid looked more like an amber-colored beer than coca-cola, so there's always that.

I got a cam and associated nonsense. Summit Racing 6900. Should give a little bit more torque. :D When I flush the coolant system I'll try to r/r the cam with the new one. Mild grind, 112 degree separation, so it won't have a huge lope to it, but it'll sound a little bit more like a real v8 instead of a straight-6.

Back