1989 RamCharger

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

full glass insurance coverage.? it's practically free $5 i year i think for my policy

I don't have the granularity of selecting full glass. Just comprehensive. Maryland doesn't have a glass coverage thing. Florida, Kentucky, and other states do require glass coverage, so it's an option there.

Besides, I'm not sure I'd trust safelite to do the replacement on such a gem.

i've probably saved about 1000 in glass costs having free glass coverage in MA.

I got the exhaust done. It sounds like an SUV with a V8 now.

When I picked up the truck, there was a huge puddle of something under the car. Knowing the usual clientele of this place, I wrote it off.

I got almost 1/4 a mile down the road, and the trans started slipping. Looked behind me, and yep. fucking trail of ATF. Pulled over, looked underneath, and yep. It's puking ATF.

I put 3 quarts in, limped it home, and called the dude who did my exhaust. (A friend who I used to ride motorcycles back when he had a sportsbike.) I asked him if anything was leaking when he had it up on the lift. He said "nope, not anything put a little coolant from that freeze plug we talked about." Then goes on to tell me that he got the exhaust bent, welded the hangers, bolted everything up, and ran it to check for leaks, and had to leave, so someone else painted them with zinc paint and pulled it out back into the parking lot. It wasn't leaking a fucking drop of ATF when Ian and I finished putting the trans back in. Now it's spewing ATF into the bell housing.

Now, here's where I fucked up:
1. I didn't say something about the puddle.
2. I didn't notice the ATF-haze covered rear window.
3. I didn't notice the exhaust and everything behind the trans was covered in ATF
4. I didn't go IMMEDIATELY back to the shop.

What would you do? Shop is closed now and closed Sunday.

So far, I've pulled the transmission inspection plate to check where the leak is coming from, and yep, sure as shit, it's coming from somewhere in the bell housing. Potentially the seal I just replaced.

Now, what could cause this? Did I fuck something as simple as a seal up?

This same shit is what inevitably did my mirage swap in the last time. Went through 4 rear mains... The crankshaft was grooved where it meets up. Could never get it to seal. Mine was oil, yours is ATF.

I'm going to be getting a new torgue converter along with all new seals, which should fix the issue.

Issue is that I'm closing on a house on the 24th and moving in the following day, week, and weekend, so its going to sit at my dad's house for a couple weeks.

kgteflWD6n6SWAXx3vZdrCvnLUC-ziOndCeGMbNWDi0=w1327-h995-no

Pretty sure it's the torque converter...

I have a "new to me" transmission sitting in my garage right now. 90k-ish miles, ran fine when pulled.

I'm going to swap that into the truck, then do a full rebuild on the original transmission.

you should insulate the garage + window unit AC for the summer.

I'm going to put a vapor barrier up on the walls and the interior roof, then after the winter I'll look into putting insulation in. It will cost me about 2 grand to insulate it with just r13 insulation.

If I do the vapor barrier first, then I can decide to just blow in insulation behind it, or rip it out and do paper-backed-fiberglass.

But, I've got a window unit (3kbtu) and two heaters, one propane 60kbtu and one kerosene heater already. I won't be cold working on the truck. :D

Got the transmission pulled, removed the transfer case, then put the transfer case on the donor trans. Then, we got the donor trans swapped in, everything is hooked up except the cooler lines, linkages, and axles.

It was a productive Saturday, lol. @GSRCRXsi and my Brother-In-Law helped a lot. I couldn't have done it without both of them.

I got the axles in last night, got everything hooked up, and got pissed at the coolant dripping in my eyes when I was working on the right side of the trans getting the front axle in.

I thought, "I'll just tap the freeze plug in a little bit, and maybe it'll seal again" and tried it... Nope.

Coolant came pouring out, as the freeze plug went into the block.
5R60yK9.jpg

Good thing I bought that bucket at NAPA earlier in the day. After it stopped draining, I grabbed the freeze plug with a pair of pliers and jhanked it out. It came out, along with some serious chunks of what I can only assume to be sand, rust, and flakes of jelly doughnuts. Yummy.
mksfNwi.jpg

Cxpw7ka.jpg

Then I worked on getting all of the chunks out I could... Lots of chunks, goo, and general nasty-ness. That's probably why the previous owner put a 3-core aluminium radiator and two 120W fans on. lol.

Apparently I don't have any of my large sockets in the garage yet, so I had to use whatever I could find. Best freeze plug install ever:
1JfuViz.jpg

Now I just have to fill it up with ATF, check the oil level, bleed the cooling system as much as possible, and figure out how to safely get it off the jackstands.

EDIT: Oh, yeah, and I have to get the hood back on.

It drives!

The exhaust is now the only leak.

I can't get the hood on by myself, it's like 16ga steel, so I might drive it to work tomorrow sans hood. a la dickskate.

Back