1990 AWD wagon. Z6 swap. trouble. HELP!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

94VTecCiv28

Hello all. I recently swapped a D16Z6 into my AWD wagon. i had it running with the stock dizzy from the wagon. BUT that dizzy wont bolt to the Z6 head. i had to have a friend hold it. So i got a Z6 dizzy. Cut and spliced OBD0 connectors onto it. Matched all the colors and then spliced the yellow/green wire to the Large white. It fires a few sputters when u turn the key but then nothing but cranking. Its throwing code 8. Which is TDC sensor. i tried another Z6 dizzy with the same result. What is the problem? anybody else go through this? My buddy has a EF hatch with Z6 and its doing the SAME thing. Please help us. the wagon is a 1990 and was already MPFI so the swap was plug and play... it has no v-tec but i don't care i just want it running again.

Check all wires, did you solder them? If not DO IT.

Oh wait...did you do a OBD1 swap. A OBD1 dizzy won't run with a OBD0 ECU.

Well really to run that motor properly you should convert to OBD1 and use the proper VTEC ECU (P28). VTEC wired on a switch doesn't do shit, it's like a stock D16A6.

yep, what he said.

if you'd rather not spend the money then you can always trim the a6 dizzy and just keep it obd0, no vtec, and extra slowww lol

2mx4d29.jpg

Last edited:
actually.... i'm ordering a jumper to run my Z6 dizzy and my P28. like i said i already had it running by the stated way above.
i built my blue EG hatch from the ground up on my own. and have never had a single problem with it. so i know what im doing. i don't like doing things the wrong way.

Last edited:
Back