1990 Civic DX HB /w D16Y8 NA - Power Swap

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Jon_S13EF

Hi, I just recently finished my 240sx Turbo Project and now have my mind set on rewarding my civic for its good service with a newer fresh motor with some upgrades. Car has approx 212k and runs good but i had recently acquired D16Y8 motor from an 99 Civic EX auto. and I had already a few parts that I had laying around for a MPFI Conversion. Here's more info on the 240sx if interested
http://www.ka-t.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12507

Here is my swap info
D16Y8 1.6L Sohc Vtec Motor
D16Z6 Intake manifold /w stock injectors
OBD-0 EF MPFI Distributor
DPFI to MPFI conversion
PM6 ECU /w Racing Chip Tune
Nippon PM7 Domed Pistons
King D16Y8 Main Bearings
MSD SS Blaster Coil
MSD RPM Switch ( Vtec Engagement )
MSD Distributor cap
NGK HE76 Wire Set
NGK ZFR5FIX-11 Plugs
BM Fuel regulator / Pressure Gauge
Stock D16 Complete Gasket Set
F1 Racing Stage 1 Clutch for 4g civic

This project is mainly for daily driving with some torque to keep up if not beat other cars. I'm also keeping to 4 Speed tranny for lower cruising rpm and till it gives up. I will be posting more pictures as soon as all parts arrive for they are mostly ebay orders. here are some pictures

dsc00705.JPG

dsc00708.JPG

dsc00643.JPG

dsc00645.JPG

dsc00651.JPG

dsc00709.JPG

dsc00653.JPG

dsc00715.JPG

Updates Parts Received so far:
dsc00759.JPG

dsc00760.JPG

why not use the Y8 intake manifold?

and while you're doing the swap i would try VERY hard to source a cheap 5 speed

Quoted post[/post]]
why not use the Y8 intake manifold?

and while you're doing the swap i would try VERY hard to source a cheap 5 speed
In my research its much easier wiring wise to stay OBD-0 and therefore Its practical to use either an A6 or Z6 Intake manifold for its wiring and sensor location are mostly similar. as for the tranny Im trying to make use as to what I currently have and focus purchasing I dont have. Maybe as soon as everthing is set and had a chance to get one then I will consider it. Thanks!!

After careful consideration I am opting to source for the 5 speed tranny but would still stay to OBD-0. I have no doubt that with a stock OBD built motor would better off running on its original ECU. But this built will be pushing to be slightly higher and needs to be customized tune. I've reading alot of forums and I ended getting some really good info from pgmfi.org for ecu tuning. Will post for more pictures for motor is still on rebuilt process. Thanks for all the inputs!!

Tune Using Turbo Edit. Basically using stock PM6 ECU modified to have Z6 base fuel map and some little adjustment on the Map to compensate for higher compresion. XENOCRON.COM can give you some more details.

Quoted post[/post]]
I'm very aware of that, I put over a year's worth of research into my build. Do some more research and you'll find out that you have considerably more powerful tuning options with OBDI.

Turbo Edit will work fine for your application. It does maptracing, realtime programming using ostrich, one-wire vtec, and is free. I am using it, and have had no troubles with it since I got a good basemap to work with. Its 400 dollars you won't have to spend making the switch. OBD1 has more options, but if you are going the budget route, it will suit you fine. LMK know if you ever have any questions with turboedit, I've gotten pretty proficient with in in my latest build.

I'm just stating that Turbo Edit IS a reliable tuning tool, very similar to Crome in almost every way, yet you talk about it like it's not a good tool. It's not as pretty, but it gets the job done, and this guy already has pretty much everything needed to use Turbo Edit.

I agree, buying that MSD garbage is a waste of money.

IMO, for this guy's build, it's not worth spending an extra 3-400 dollars just to convert to obd1, when obd0 will do just fine. But I've given my input, no need to string this out.

FYI, MSD Stuffs were left over from my 240sx Turbo. had one laying around it didnt have a connector and ended up buying a new set. as for the rpm switch was for my nitrous so it doesnt activate past 3k rpm. all I really ended up buying was the distributor cap and to my surprice the kit came with the connector I needed. As for the Turbo Edit. I just got my ECU socketed. Have 3 chips so far, stock , ebay racing chip, and blank chip intended for TE NG55 with PM7 Base map. Will post pics of the current progress later. Thanks!!!

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
I'm very aware of that, I put over a year's worth of research into my build. Do some more research and you'll find out that you have considerably more powerful tuning options with OBDI.

Turbo Edit will work fine for your application. It does maptracing, realtime programming using ostrich, one-wire vtec, and is free. I am using it, and have had no troubles with it since I got a good basemap to work with. Its 400 dollars you won't have to spend making the switch. OBD1 has more options, but if you are going the budget route, it will suit you fine. LMK know if you ever have any questions with turboedit, I've gotten pretty proficient with in in my latest build.

Thnx, I would really need help on this. So far I've research some guys were unsuccesful using the NG55 or NG60 with the stock PM6 Basemap and some were succesful using the PM7. But setup was mostly on MPFI conversion and Mini-Me am not to sure how much adjustment would I need for the HC setup. although I will have an LM1 wideband I can borrow from a drifter buddies once I got all this setup. Thanks,

Quoted post[/post]]
Hi, I just recently finished my 240sx Turbo Project and now have my mind set on rewarding my civic for its good service with a newer fresh motor with some upgrades. Car has approx 212k and runs good but i had recently acquired D16Y8 motor from an 99 Civic EX auto. and I had already a few parts that I had laying around for a MPFI Conversion. Here's more info on the 240sx if interested

Here is my swap info
DPFI to MPFI conversion
Nippon PM7 Domed Pistons
King D16Y8 Main Bearings
MSD SS Blaster Coil
MSD Distributor cap
NGK HE76 Wire Set
NGK ZFR5FIX-11 Plugs

This project is mainly for daily driving with some torque to keep up if not beat other cars. I'm also keeping to 4 Speed tranny for lower cruising rpm and till it gives up. I will be posting more pictures as soon as all parts arrive for they are mostly ebay orders. here are some pictures

dsc00705.JPG

dsc00708.JPG

dsc00643.JPG

dsc00645.JPG

dsc00651.JPG

dsc00709.JPG

dsc00653.JPG

dsc00715.JPG

dsc00759.JPG

dsc00760.JPG

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]

Here is my swap info
DPFI to MPFI conversion
Nippon PM7 Domed Pistons
King D16Y8 Main Bearings
MSD SS Blaster Coil
MSD Distributor cap
NGK HE76 Wire Set
NGK ZFR5FIX-11 Plugs

dsc00705.JPG

dsc00708.JPG

dsc00643.JPG

dsc00645.JPG

dsc00651.JPG

dsc00709.JPG

dsc00653.JPG

dsc00715.JPG

dsc00759.JPG

dsc00760.JPG
hope u find ur set up dude ..............but if u dont mind i have a question.....i also have a 1990 hatch that has a 5 speed tranny cable,,, dont know from what car and it has the 1.5b1 block and the head looks exactly like urs.............im just curious ........what car is this head from , and is it a 1.6 head? I also have a 1.6dy8 block that i would love to swap but dont know if i have to modify the motor mount s etc........ i would like for it to fit right in if possible any response appreciated.

Back