1990 CRX DX with 199? B18A1 - what did I get myself into? Wiring help needed. *PICS*

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Mike Diaz

I bought a 1990 CRX DX with a B18A1 / 5 speed manual transmission in the engine bay. The only reason I bought the car is to get it running, gut the interior, and go play at some of the auto-x events. I paid $1000 for a pretty clean body CRX with the drivetrain already installed, new axles, new mounts, poly bushings all around, and coilovers, so I'm willing to do whatever it takes to get it wired correctly and get it running. Enough with the background crap, here's my problem.

I don't know what year B18A1 I have and I don't know what wiring harness/ECU I need to get it done. I believe the engine is out of a 90-91 Integra LS, but I am not 100% sure. I took some pictures with some hope of a fellow member helping me out with some of my questions. I already have 2 PR4 ECU's, one is an OBD0 and the other is an OBD1.

I just need to know what wiring harness and ECU will get my CRX running correctly. Any help is appreciated.

crx095.jpg

crx237.jpg

crx238.jpg

crx239.jpg

crx240.jpg

take a pic of the stamps on the head above the exhaust manifold... there should be a few cirlces with numbers, that way i can tell you what year it is.

also did you or the previous crx owner do a dpfi to mpfi swap, im pretty sure that needs to be done

Here's the stampings above the exhaust manifold. I don't know if the DPFI to MPFI has been done already, but if you can let me know how to check, I'll definitely do that. I'm very mechanically inclined (ase certified), but my specialty is the Legend C32 and C35 cars. I'm only a novice at D & B series engines.

7-5-08.jpg

7-5-08002.jpg

7-5-08003.jpg

7-5-08004.jpg

Thanks for helping

Last edited:
the far left circle is the one that tells the year, and it looks like 91 to me. and i am not sure what a dpfi to mpfi swap looks like... i've never done one or seen one done, hopefully another member can help you out there, sorry i was only avilable to help this far. good luck

Last edited:
on the far right upper corner of the bay there should be an injector resistor box...i dont see one.so i dont think its been converted..

no theres one there, its below the strut tower bar, i saw that but i didnt know if that meant it was converted. here i circled it in the pic

crx237.jpg

Last edited:
im gonna watch this thread i have the same car same motor and some idle issues cant figure out so im with homie here i have been doing the sohc d series for a few years and just crossed that line to the b series....... looking for info

I'm going to do some diagnosis tomorrow afternoon and find out if I'm not getting spark or fuel to at least narrow down the problem. I'll post an update tomorrow night. The resistor box is wired up, but there's a few wires that are off on the passenger side of the engine compartment. You can see them in the last picture in the first post.

well seein as how its a 91 you're going to want to use your obd0 pr4. which means you don't need any kind of swap harness or ecu jumper. So make sure you plug that in then go from there. See what kind of check engine codes you get. I would test for fuel pressure, spark obviously, and see if the injectors are actually clicking and turning on while its being cranked. hooking up a multimeter to each injector would probably tell you pretty quic

Back