1990 CRX Si Build thread

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

You could try wrapping a nylon strap clockwise around the pulley and tie the end to a cross member or something.

I cannot get the mother fucking crank pulley off. I'm getting kind of upset because as of right now, rex is just sitting there. Should I just put the a6 head back on and then try to get it off?

You can turn the block without the head on it.. there are timing marks on the block so you can set it back to TDC. You might have to buy/borrow a puller to get the crank pulley off.. I've done a LOT of timing belts and probably 75% of the time the crank pulley is stuck and I have to use my puller set to get it out..

Just spray some PBblaster on it; Let it sit for a few minutes; hit it with an Impact gun CLOCKWISE(tightening it) just for a second; Then go the other way and it will finally break loose.

Thats how I did mine.
The nice thing about an impact gun is that it won't spin your motor over. just borrow a buddies or go buy an electric one from home depot. (and return it when your done)

Cool thread man. I'm in for progress.
-Andrew

well I've got WD40, and I've been soaking it almost daily. Impact gun, I have an electric one my dad got me (goodyear or somethin, advertised as using it on their race cars), and I believe it torques to 170 lbs or something. Is that even enough? I don't know what that things torqued to anyway

and I apologize about some of the obvious shit I may ask, this is the first semi-major anything i've done lol

I believe it torques to 170 lbs or something. Is that even enough? I don't know what that things torqued to anyway
It doesnt matter. Just go try it. That sounds like any other impact gun.

I think the Crank pulley is somewhere in the neighborhood of 60-95 ft./lbs. I can't remember, but it's pretty much the highest torqued bolt on your CAR.

Get a PDF manual for the CRX HERE. You'll have to register(big deal), but it's all free.

Open the document and start printing :)

that bolt is not coming off. I've tried WD-40, Liquid Wrench, PB Blaster, fuckin everything. That bolt is the devil itself.

thats what I started thinking, isn't there some sort of loc-tite on it anyway? also I found on another site where this kid was having the same problem, and someone mentioned putting an old head bolt in one of the holes, and resting it against the lip of the oil pan to guarantee it doesn't move at all, so I'll probably try that as well. I donno, I'm just getting frustrated with it. I'm short on time as it is, and I've had this same holdup for about a week now. It's starting to get darker sooner, and colder daily, and I'd reallly like to get the head on and rip it once before it gets winter parked. Blah.

Dude, don't fuck up your block, I'd put the head back on and do the nylon rope trick before I busted off the lip that my oil pan sits on.

When ever I had to take the crank pully off anything we took something and wedged it agenst something and the flywheel.

Then take off the starter.
Thats what I'd do. Get a buddy to hold a cro-bar on the flywheel andthen do it with the impact gun. You shouldn't need to block it at all if your using the impact gun. but whatever.

I think now is when we start calling him a pussy :)
Man up, Dave! :p

Yeah when me and my friends do somthing like that the trans is off and we wedge a block of wood in the teeth of the flywheel and the ground then use a braker bark on the crank or if where taking the flywheel off we put a braker bar on the crank pully.

I think his transmission is still in place.
yes, it is

Then take off the starter.
Thats what I'd do. Get a buddy to hold a cro-bar on the flywheel andthen do it with the impact gun. You shouldn't need to block it at all if your using the impact gun. but whatever.
take off the starter, eh? maybe I'll try that before the nylon rope thing, seeing as how I have a crowbar, but no nylon rope.

I think now is when we start calling him a pussy :)
Man up, Dave! :p
lol callin me a pussy cuz I'm havin the worst time of my fuckin life with this thing and you all have good ideas? why don't all of you just fly to good ole pittsburgh and rip this thing off for me :)

Back