1990 CRX Si Build thread

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I ended up getting a 300Ft/lb Impact gun with a 20gal Tank+Compressor, PB Blaster, GF In car with the brake to the floor with the car IN GEAR even, and it took nearly 3 min of CONSTANT Full force Impact gun for that bolt to shake loose... Even then I cracked the fucking pully anyways... Its not a fun job, but it will give way eventually.

sheesh. thats kinda outrageous. I was talking to one of my buddys dad, and he had to do the same thing for his subaru, so he made a took with a piece of metal about 2 ft long, about an inch wide and probably 2 cm thick. At the one end he drilled 2 holes for bolts so that he could put them in the holes of the crank pulley, and brace it against the crossmember, he gave it to me, told me to alter it as I need, so I think I'm gonna try that as well as soon as it stops raining. I don't have a garage :(

i got it. fuck you crank pulley bolt. and eat my ass too.

anyway, I ended up prying the dust shield off the flywheel a little, just enough to stick a screwdriver in there, and then with my buddy pushing as hard as he can with impact sockets (since we broke 2 craftsman sockets, ftmfl.) it came loose. Lot of progress. Got everything ready pretty much to go back together, just finishing up a couple things. Also picked up an OBX intake manifold, so that'll be going on as well. The car should be running again by the end of the week, if all goes well with finances. I'm gonna go to sleep now.

thanks bud.
I'm kinda stuck right now though, I was told by a couple people to use the d15b7 timing belt, but its too loose, I take it off and put it on with ease, and now people are telling me to use the y8 timing belt, which is ass because I just bought this one. Oh well.

Also, I noticed when I got my pulley off, there's a small eagle to the top and left of it, does this mean anything? I don't know much about that eagle company or what entirely they specialize in but I just noticed it and thought i'd ask. I'll post a pic later

Always use the timing belt used on the head. (at least when your doing mini-me's with d16 bottom ends.)
Have you messed with the tensioner? it could be just really loose.

I got a y8 timing belt, and it's super tight. Should I have to take the cam gear off and then force it on? it seems like that'd make it wayyyy too tight. The tensioner won't move either way.

got a stripped bolt remover, new bolt, everything is going back together FAAST. I'm on one of those rushes where everything is going so fast and you have so much energy. BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT TO TORQUE THE CRANK PULLEY BOLT TO. HELP PLIZEASIEZ!!!!

Put the impact driver on and torque it by ear.
It goes "Rat tat tat tat ta ta ta"
Then hit it with an extra "ta ta ta" to ensure it's at the precise torque spec.

Put the impact driver on and torque it by ear.
It goes "Rat tat tat tat ta ta ta"
Then hit it with an extra "ta ta ta" to ensure it's at the precise torque spec.

Queoted for Truth, You don't want that bitch falling off.

Back