1990 CRX Si Build thread

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

i'm at the point to where I'm saying fuck hondas. I'm sure you all get that way. I didnt know where the thermostat went, the dude told me it goes in the entrance to the head, found out it didn't, and now that I broke another god damn bolt in the head, I closed the hood and I'm going to bed. Goodnight.

I think I would have to suggest buying a service manual at this point.. sorry about all your bad luck. The older cars are a lot harder to work on sometimes because of stuck bolts and parts breaking and stuff like that.

If it makes you feel any better it's just as bad or worse on other cars.. I was changing a thermostat in a Ford diesel truck a couple months ago and the bolts broke off in the housing which resulted in having to replace the entire water pump instead. But I understand where you're coming from I've almost taken a cutting torch to some of my cars before :D

Last edited:
see thats just it, I have a service manual, but since I'm working in my gravel driveway with a flashlight, I went by what the dude at advance said and when it didn't work and that bolt broke, I started getting super pissed.

on a different note though, does anyone have any idea as to my idling problem?

Yeah that sucks dude I know what you mean.. I had to update my last post after I thought about that.

yeah I've been tempted to take a cutting torch to most of this swap. I don't know how many times I went to the store today to get shit

It will be worth it when you're done.. just keep at it cause when all the BS is over with you'll be glad you did!

so I got the new thermostat in, and its still overheating. I think maybe a seal somewhere on it is bad, maybe the thermostat seal itself. When it starts overheating, it starts smoking from what looks like a combination of there and my open cat exhaust. I've got a couple videos, I'll post em in a bit, I gotta go to school though

Edit:
I talked to one of my teachers, and he mentioned making sure that there's no air in my cooling system, because that could hold up the coolant and keep my motor from cooling off, so I'm gonna try that tomorrow morning. I also noticed that my head is leaking oil around the vtec solenoid, so I guess its time to make a new gasket.

Last edited:
The air could be the issue with the temperature.. just leave your radiator cap off and run the engine until the t-stat opens that should take care of most of the air. Sometimes there is a bleeder valve either the t-stat housing or the water outlet that you can open also.

awesome. then that's 3 votes for the air in the cooling system. i'll try that tomorrow morning.

i'm at that fuck honda point again. I don't know what else to do. It's leaking coolant from somewhere in the back, but I've replaced every single god damn seal and everything is tight, I don't know how much money I've spent on fucking coolant either. anyone wanna buy a crx? 10 bucks.

I will give you seven. Really dont quit now. Is it leaking off the engine or a hose or you just dont know?

its leaking off somewhere in the back, but I don't think it's off the exit because I just put a new seal in the thermostat. I'm not sure though. I might just take it somewhere and have them fix it

My guess is it's one of the coolant lines going to the IACV or FITV.
Also, I had an issue with the heater core hoses. The 2 barbs for the heater core got bent in/caved in from some pliers when I removed the hoses, so they were sortof oval shaped... this caused it to leak. I just took some pliers and bent 'em back as close to a circle as I could and it was fine.

I'm with klyph. Why can't you feel which line is leaking coolant?
Don't waste money on a shop to look at some coolant lines dude...

I don't know, like I honestly don't know. I was looking for it, and the only one I can think that might be leaking is where the coolant leaves the block, but I just put new seals on them so why the heck would it leak? like I can't see it or feel it but when I look under my car it drips right about onto my cat, and it's definately coolant.

coolant leak...

mine leaks coolant too. Stop Leak is working so far, but it's gonna start up again as it gets worse.

At first glance it seemed to leak from the water pump. But, it's actually coming from the hose out of the water pump (underneath the intake manifold). I've got an engine sitting on a stand to look at those hard to see areas, very helpful. Here's a pic of where my honda leaks coolant:

IMG_0096.jpg

But, you said it was leaking onto the catalytic converter? So, maybe it's a send / return from the heater core?

Bummer about working on a gravel driveway. I've done that before...

FYI, if you think it would help I can post pictures of other parts from a Honda D16. Though it's mostly taken apart right now.

Last edited:
Back