1990 CRX Si with d16z6 swap issues OBD0 - OBD1

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Z6CRX

übber ɐɾuıu etarip
I recently had problems with my Z6 swap into my CRX. It just cranks when I attempt to start it. I swapped the entire engine from a running 1993 civic EX into my CRX when then stock D16A6 developed a rod knock. I picked up the motor along with the ECU and all the plugs. I've adapted the old engine harness for the OBD1 injectors and the sensors. I figured it'd be easy.. but from there I've had nothing but problems.

Halfway through the initial rewiring the plugs off the ECU I found out that my info was WAY off.. So i had fun backtrcking and I'm pretty confident that I changed it back properly. :doh: I then adapted the plugs and plugged the ECU in, checked all my wires and hoses, then tried to start the motor. It cranked but didn't start. I'm using the OBD1 Distributor but not 100% sure that the wires are right to the distributor. I have fuel to the engine but no spark. I've messed around with this for quite a bit and would like to finish converting to OBD1. Any suggestions :worthy: ?

damn, you're in some deep shit...

three choices...

get a helmes if you don;t have one and re-check your wiring
make sure you are using the same pin-out methods, i know some manuals have the pinouts going across instead of up and down...

you could just get a whole OBD wire harness and swap it out...
takes some work but it can be done
you'll need to convert to an electronic VSS, and swap out your gauge cluster...

or you can get another OBD0 harness and buy the OBD0 - OBD1 conversion harness...

also besides rechecking your wiring you should recheck all your connections that you messed with to ensure continuity...

One thing i should have added I'm still using my old Si transmission not like that really helps though :lol: . Thanks for the help, just needed to check with someone else that knows what their talking about. Ill have to post a write up of the dangers of doing the wiring yourself and what to avoid or something..

I already have the manuals for both the car models.. I'm likely to just get a new OBD0 from a 90-91 CRX interior harnes and then get an adapter for the ECU. Making sure it doesnt get screwed up this time. Im pretty sure that 90-91 are the same. Im not much for swapping out my cluster cause im trying to keep it looking stock on the dash. I'm also not sure if I get the OBD1 engine harness the climate controls might not match up like in the EF hatchback.

However im thinking that i just might have a ground problem with the distributor. Should I explore that option? I have a few extra parts to spare ;) .

Once again thanks :D

i would definately try to trouble shoot before doing a whole harness swap...

harness swap = hours of work, both pulling and reinstalling...

curious, did you solder all connections?
si tranny is no problem, you can retrofit a VSS to work, but you'll need to clamp it in there as there's no way to bolt it...

break out your diagrams and a continuity tester and have at that harness, i;m sure its something simple
and definately a good idea to recheck all your grounds...

the cluster can be made to fit so that you can't even tell its not suspossed to be there, i'll get a pic of mine and you'll see what i mean, looks 10x better than stock too...
climate controls are the same plugs for the most part...
headlights, wiper motor, taillights will need to be custom wired, and the fuel pump and fuel level sender plugs are switched...

All connections that I did have been soldered and heatshrinked minus the ones in the engine bay I've pulled apart after it didn't start. Making sure I do it right I'm just a bit hazy on converting the plugs off the distributor (OBD1). Thats probably where my problem is since theres fuel but no spark. :ph34r:

P28. its the ECU from a 1993 manual civic EX..
Right now i have my wiring fixed just having to mess with the timing on the distributor.. I now have spark. its just chiking when I try to start. I'm just hooking up all the remaining sensors and double checking the injectors then it "should" start :lol: . hopefully

Hey I am a little lost how are you plugging in the P28, do you have a conversion harness or did you say you changed all the wires at the ECU.

I changed all the wires at the ECU and adapted all the plugs for all the sensors and everthing seems to be find, i still need to change the plug on the thermostat switch though. Right now im getting to power all 4 injectors when i put the key into the on position, but im not sure if thats supposed to be like that though. If the injectors are getting power wouldnt they be putting fuel into the cylinder? Right now im going to check if its the ECU might have been fried, but it worked before but its always a good thing to double check.

This thing is really getting annoying :blink:

Ok changed the ECU to the auto which i have laying around. I still need to convert the ECU to manual though cause it'll hit some weird rev limiter in second gear from what I've heard from others.
It cranks, gets fuel, sparks and im not sure if its flooding the cylinders or not cause its getting constant power to the injectors and im not sure if its supposed to do that.
ive been messing with the timing with the distributor so im not sure what else to check.

Originally posted by Z6CRX@Aug 23 2005, 06:48 PM
Ok changed the ECU to the auto which i have laying around. I still need to convert the ECU to manual though cause it'll hit some weird rev limiter in second gear from what I've heard from others.
It cranks, gets fuel, sparks and im not sure if its flooding the cylinders or not cause its getting constant power to the injectors and im not sure if its supposed to do that.
ive been messing with the timing with the distributor so im not sure what else to check.
[post=544213]Quoted post[/post]​

Yeah don't think that is suppose to be like that, I think when you start to crank it over is when fuel is suppose to spray out the injecters. So if you have the key in the on position they are constantly spraying.

Originally posted by darien234+Aug 24 2005, 01:05 PM-->
@Aug 23 2005, 06:48 PM
Ok changed the ECU to the auto which i have laying around.  I still need to convert the ECU to manual though cause it'll hit some weird rev limiter in second gear from what I've heard from others. 
[post=544213]Quoted post[/post]​

Yeah don't think that is suppose to be like that, I think when you start to crank it over is when fuel is suppose to spray out the injecters. So if you have the key in the on position they are constantly spraying.
[post=544561]Quoted post[/post]​

So its flooding the cylinders. It backfires sometimes when messing with the distributor and spits out black stuff out the back. I can smell fuel from it so I'd say im getting fuel in there.
Fireballs are fun but apparently not meant to be shooting out the intake manifold.

What can i do to solve this? :unsure:

auto ecu will give you a lower rev limit, but more importantly it'll give you a CEL for code 19 auto lockup solonoid...

OBD1 injectors are saturated, and DO NOT run on a resistor box...
did you remove your resistor box from your wiring?
or is it still in there?

I took out the injector box so i could run the OBD1 injectors, and I ran all of the wires into the Block plug off the 93 Civic EX. I even took all the wires and wrapped them all together and still have the smae problem

I also have the manual ECU to use either one would work enough to get to it to start though.

any chance you reversed your injector wires?
not sure if it would make a diffrence or not...

do you seriously have fireballs coming out the intake?

all the injectors are in the right order.. Ill check again to be sure though cause my dad finally came out to help me with this and pulled a few wires in hopes it'd start.
for Ex trying to put the plugs in a reverse order for the distributor

4 3 2 1 Cylinders

and

1 4

Should be what the firing order should be right?

A fireball would only shoot out when pouring fuel down the intake manifold like my dad suggested. Doesnt quite help when it comes to fuel injected motors..

Would the main relay cause any these problems? I'll check it out, its a thought but i dont know..

If worse comes to worse, I'll just drop a B18a/b or B20 in there with an LS tranny until i decide to build it. If not it'll become a D series turbo ninja one night :ph34r: .

Back