1990 Honda CRX Si: Rear Struts

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ExplicitSnow

I'm changing out my stock springs for some coilovers. I've done the front just fine thanx to the 2 piece strut design. Now the rear is a solid 1 piece. I'm having trouble getting the strut out and over the lower tie rod. I've unbolted the tie rod from under the car (it's still bolted to rotor)...when i changed my springs on my accord, someone was putting some much needed weight on the rear rotor to give that needed room to distract the strut...well, its not working for me on my crx...any help, shortcuts i can take to get this damn thing out?

all you have to do is take the 2 nuts off from the strut tower in the rear of the car
take out the bolt from the rear subframe and the one at the bottom of the strut

Originally posted by racintweek@Jul 22 2004, 12:30 PM
all you have to do is take the 2 nuts off from the strut tower in the rear of the car
take out the bolt from the rear subframe and the one at the bottom of the strut
[post=366875]Quoted post[/post]​

ive taken the 2 bolts off the top and the 1 off the bottom of the strut...ive also taken the bolt that connects to where you bolt the lower tie bar too...

here's a picture of what i've taken off
the white circle represents the bolt i took off, red arrom represents -- whats this part called? subframe?

i dont see what the problem is then

if you have all 2 blots out of the contol arm
and the 2 nuts on the shock tower there is no reason it is still not
coming out

:wtf: :hmm:

i just thought that you might have to take your sway bar off of that control are in order to pull it down enough

you definitely don't have to mess with the sway bar. the back strut isn't a routine maintinance part so unless you've taken them off before it might be the first time they've been off since the factory. hence the difficulty removing.....one thing i can suggest for when you finally get it out: it might be easier to jack up your strut into the proper position and thread the bolt....whack with a hammer when it looks close and thread on your nut. usually reassembly is a breeze though if you are using aftermarket (generally smaller) springs because you can compress the strut by hand and you'll find you have more than enough room to fiddle with it.

Originally posted by b18c5crxtasy@Jul 23 2004, 08:38 PM
you definitely don't have to mess with the sway bar. the back strut isn't a routine maintinance part so unless you've taken them off before it might be the first time they've been off since the factory. hence the difficulty removing.....one thing i can suggest for when you finally get it out: it might be easier to jack up your strut into the proper position and thread the bolt....whack with a hammer when it looks close and thread on your nut. usually reassembly is a breeze though if you are using aftermarket (generally smaller) springs because you can compress the strut by hand and you'll find you have more than enough room to fiddle with it.
[post=367499]Quoted post[/post]​

So you should be able to compress the strut by themselves? Because with my coilovers, I can until the spring touches the housing....

that's what i mean....the overall length of the assembly will be ultimately shorter than stock.....meaning you can compress the strut to the size of your spring. hence: stock spring, less ability to compress the whole assembly. aftermarket spring, more ability to compress the strut until it comes into contact with the spring. i am not by any means saying you can compress a suspension spring by hand.

Originally posted by b18c5crxtasy@Jul 24 2004, 01:38 AM
i am not by any means saying you can compress a suspension spring by hand.
[post=367520]Quoted post[/post]​

for real...ive tried, doesnt work at all...a friend of mine showed me a shortcut to get the strut assemble out...thank everybody

Originally posted by b18c5crxtasy@Jul 23 2004, 10:38 PM
that's what i mean....the overall length of the assembly will be ultimately shorter than stock.....meaning you can compress the strut to the size of your spring. hence: stock spring, less ability to compress the whole assembly. aftermarket spring, more ability to compress the strut until it comes into contact with the spring. i am not by any means saying you can compress a suspension spring by hand.
[post=367520]Quoted post[/post]​

No I mean, should it possible to compress the strut itself, until the spring touches? I know I can compress mine atleast up, and yeah I don't think that's good.....

no that's exactly what it should do, but it should provide a little "friendly resistance"....i'm a physics and ee major so i do this crap all the time...you need a system of a spring and a damper or shock to resist movement either up or down and soften changes. the reason the strut is easy to compress is because that's not it's job....the spring takes the hit when you hit a bump (that's handling the weight)....the strut is what makes the suspension not spring back immediately to full height. the strut is there to limit the changes in the spring which happen more quickly and let it compress and release to full height more smoothly.

Back