1990 swap question

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

d16hatch

ok, i have a 1990 civic dx already converted to mpfi with a blown up d15b in it, i really wanna go turbo with some pretty good numbers so im thinking b16a vtec, question is what needs to be done, what year b16a do i look for, do i have to replace the hubs, or just juse 90-91 integra axles, i know i need a motor mount kit, what about shift linkage, can i modify mine or is there a year car that i can use them off of, will the dx wiring harness work? and what about ecu, use a p28 and just wire in vtec, will i have enough room for a turbo set-up,

i was thinking about dropping in a dohc zc (130 hp stock) but that swap just seemed to easy, rather drop in a slightly built b16a (around 160 hp stock) boost around 8-10 psi and murder everything around town

ok, i have a 1990 civic dx already converted to mpfi with a blown up d15b in it, i really wanna go turbo with some pretty good numbers so im thinking b16a vtec, question is what needs to be done, what year b16a do i look for, do i have to replace the hubs, or just juse 90-91 integra axles, i know i need a motor mount kit, what about shift linkage, can i modify mine or is there a year car that i can use them off of, will the dx wiring harness work? and what about ecu, use a p28 and just wire in vtec, will i have enough room for a turbo set-up,

i was thinking about dropping in a dohc zc (130 hp stock) but that swap just seemed to easy, rather drop in a slightly built b16a (around 160 hp stock) boost around 8-10 psi and murder everything around town

Grow up, street racing is illegal. Punk ass kids kill other people or kill them self. You need to use the search feature your questions have been covered 243286759324 times.

1. did i specifically say i was gonna be street racing, cause i dont think i did
2. couldnt find anything searching sorry im not that good at it

red all of this

B16A: Mount kit required
Transmission: S1, J1, A1, Y1 or YS1
Shift Linkage: Need adjustable shift linkage from Hasport or shortened shift linkage from 90-93 Integra
Axles: B16A Axles
Wiring: DX, LX, and Standard (dual point injection) models the wiring needs to be modified for port injection first. To use PR3 or PW0 four wires need to be added, VTEC, VTEC oil pressure, knock sensor and second O2.
Upper Radiator Hose: 92 GSR, trim to fit
Lower Radiator Hose: 90 Integra, trim to fit
Throttle Cable: 90 Integra
Clutch Cable: Stock
Air Conditioning: Use Hasport AC bracket with stock AC compressor.
Chassis Prep: Make a dent on the left-hand frame rail for alternator pully clearance.
Emissions: Purge cutoff solenoid valve needs to be Teed into the fuel pressure regulator for vacuum source.

but it doesnt say about using a obd 1 ecu i thought you couldnt add vtec to an obd o ecu i thought you had to get a jumper harness and then add it in

Last edited:
You can add VTEC in to your existing harness and use an OBD0 ECU. The 88-91 Civics in Japan had B16s, so it's certainly possible. A PW0 would be the ECU to look for I believe.

Alternatively though, you can just get a jumper harness and run an OBD1 ECU. That might be a better idea actually if you plan to build the motor or go turbo down the road. OBD1 has a lot more tuning options...

Back