1990 swap

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Snail2.

K so 4 days after i bought my prelude, the engine blew on me...so i have a prelude and have no idea which engine to put in.
My old car was a 93 integra, so i am not very familliar with the preludes.

I could another stock engine in it, but that would be no fun.
So I'm just kinda looking for suggestions as to what my options are.

Also is it possible to put a 6 speed tranny in the 3rd gens?

If you have a 90 Prelude the only engine you can put back in it is a stock one unless you have some pretty deep pockets..

They had a group buy for H22a mounts over at Preludepower.com - Powered by vBulletin a couple times that you might be able to get your hands on. It's not an easy swap, but that is basically your only alternative other than a stock engine. The B series in the 88-91 Preludes is not compatible with any other Honda engine.

what would you suggest would be an easier and/or cheaper swap then?
i am willing to throw some money into it, just as long as its worth it in the end.
also, with an H22, what other parts would i need to make it work?

Basically the only options you have are to buy a JDM B20a Prelude engine or swap the H22 (or rebuild your stock engine which I would not recommend as it is a lot of $$). The H22 requires a lot of money, custom mounts, axles, and wiring. The JDM B20a will bolt into your car directly, assuming you can find one, but will not make much power over your stock engine.

Basically the 3G Preludes are not a very good platform to swap engines on.. which is why I use mine as a daily driver with the stock engine and have no plans to build it. The aftermarket support for that engine basically does not exist compared to most other Honda engines.

H22
H23
F22 sohc LOVES boost
B20a3 sohc
B20a5 direct swap
B21a1 direct swap but burns oil
B20a Jspec good for boost

those are you options

me personally ( i own a 89 ) i would just rock a B20a5 and keep it a DD, orrrr you can boost it, slap on the B21a1 head and intake manifold (i have an extra set if you need) slapping on the B21 head will lower the compression even more which will allow it to take more abuse.... slap in some H23 connecting rods, bore out your block .200 over and slap in some 84.5 mm pistons from Race Engineering, Inc

check out the pp.com as stated above.... great site and very knowledgable ppl

Basically the only options you have are to buy a JDM B20a Prelude engine or swap the H22 (or rebuild your stock engine which I would not recommend as it is a lot of $$). The H22 requires a lot of money, custom mounts, axles, and wiring. The JDM B20a will bolt into your car directly, assuming you can find one, but will not make much power over your stock engine.

Basically the 3G Preludes are not a very good platform to swap engines on.. which is why I use mine as a daily driver with the stock engine and have no plans to build it. The aftermarket support for that engine basically does not exist compared to most other Honda engines.

You were correct about not having any aftermarket support before I took on the challenge and now we have quite a bit of aftermarket support.

Here are the current list of upgrades.

1. Turbo Charging, we have one two businesses that make manifolds and some locals on the site who make them as well for your boosting pleasures.
The B20A5 or B20A(JDM) are the best for boosting as they come with Iron sleeves from the factory. These blocks can handle (Dyno proven) 400whp.

2. There is a Custom CatBack - Mandrel Bent, stainless steel, 2.25" completely bolt up.

3. I am currently in production with Ksport Complete Coilover kits, to be finished by first week of January 2008.

4. I sell and have AZ Race produce the H22 engine mounts, and the soon to be produced B20/21 stock Billet mounts for a better performace feel and especially for the boosted guys.

5. Rywire - Online Store produces the H22 engine harness for the swap, you will need your stock harness and H22 harness to be sent to them to rewire it.

There are still more things on the horizon, so don't be misled by people who do not know the current state of the aftermarket support for the 3rd gen Preludes.

Come on over to Preludepower.com - Powered by vBulletin and go our 3rd gen section for more information, and up to date events for this particular car.

This car is amazing as far as Turbo charging goes, and swapping the H22 into it.

And just incase you ask why the B18 has not been done to this car, well I felt going backwards in performance and horsepower just did not make sense. Plus I already put a feeler thread out to have the mounts made, but the community did not have enough support to make it happen. But you never know, I might be able to convince them to do it in the future.

And the K20 is not going to fit into this chassis without too much cutting to make it work. But again, never say never, if I get enough support, I can have that done as well.

If you have any questions, just pm me or email me at: onefunrydperformance@q.com

3rd Gen Project Manager,
Sean Tydingco

preludepower.com FTW! excellent site, ive been a member for quite some time and have owned several lude's up till now. I picked up my 97' hatch due to the fact i needed something reliable for everyday use. I still have a 89' lude, tons of parts and a spare motor.

Back